1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. Welcome Guest to the new SB! Come on in, we're running the newest XF version now on new servers. Talk about it here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/all-in-together.311779/

By the Horns (A Battletech Alternate Universe)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by master arminas, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SableCold

SableCold Lurker

Nothing wrong if you intend for the Taurians to follow a straight line path. Being dependent on stars to recharge along the way means it will look more like a zigzag path. A map should show what stars they can recharge in....

2. YuffieK

YuffieK Inquisitor Senpai!

The direct "as the crow flies" route from Taurus to New Avalon has several large voids in it, so they have to take detours. 17 jumps sounds about right, even though the actual distance is about 13 jumps.

3. VhenRa

VhenRa MechWarrior

actually. You are probably right.

My calculator puts it at 19 Jumps.
    Taurus to Midale, Flintoft, Pleiades Cluster, New Sytris, Okains, Hobson, Kigamboni, Sekulmun, Kluane, Novaya Zemlya, Monongahela, Kathil, Smolensk, Talcott, Scudder, Tiskilwa, Strawn, Ipava and FINALLY New Avalon.

Least time course, traveling through inhabited systems.

4. Question is how soon Hanse would know that Edward is coming and realize that 'Foxes Unleashed' won't be the blockbuster he hoped it would and cancels it.

5. VhenRa

VhenRa MechWarrior

Well. Depends. He is going to have to tell the FedSuns SOMETHING (If he is planning on traveling through inhabited systems anyway) in order to travel through the FedSuns with two armed military dropships... so if Hanse assumes its something to do with the Core and/or Warship... He will know as soon as the flight plan is authorised. Well, within a day or two anyway.

6. Taurian Concordat Navy GuardShip Titan
    Local Space, Taurus System
    Taurian Concordat
    October 24, 3025

“Most impressive,” Helena Vickers commented to Space Master Liam Zahra as the tour of the twenty-five thousand ton Assault DropShip came to a close. “But I understand that there are just two of them in the entire TCN? Is that correct?”

“Yes, Marshal Vickers,” Liam replied crisply. “Several years ago we captured two Behemoth-class cargo ships from pirates,” and the Space Master smiled as he patted one of the structural bulkheads. “We can’t produce those ships—but we know how to work welders and cutting torches. Our engineers sliced this thing down to size and managed to make it the most heavily armed DropShip known to exist today,” then he sighed. “But, as you said, there are just two of them and we can’t make any more. I reckon, though, that they will provide your WarShip with sufficient protection until we get you fixed up.”

Helena shook her head, at both the audacity of the ship she was aboard and her newly bestowed rank of Marshal—she had always been a fighting officer, and those promoted to Marshal were mostly stuck behind desks. But Thomas had insisted—and now she was the senior officer of the entire Taurian Concordat Navy. What little there was of it.

Forty-eight Class Two autocannons?” blurted Daniel Stiles. “Why in God’s name would you do that?”

Liam laughed. “You still aren’t getting the loss of technology we suffered—for this time, the Class Two AC is the longest-ranged weapon system available. Does a pittance of damage, but forty-eight of will still give ASF fits—and tear apart the armor of any DropShip out there. And that is the just the long-range ballistic guns, Commander. We also carry four ASF of our own, plus eighteen Class Five ACs, a dozen Class Tens, a half-dozen Class Twenty, a dozen LRM launcher, twenty-four PPCs and Large Lasers, eighteen Medium Lasers, a dozen SRM launchers; not to mention the thirty Small Lasers and forty-eight Machine-Guns installed for point-defense!”

“Exactly,” said Helena. “They did the best they could, Dan—and it is a remarkable piece of engineering. 6-G’s max thrust, you said?”

“Yes, Marshal, slimming this girl down to twenty-five thousand tons from one hundred made her one of the fastest ships in space—and left enough room to give her as much armor as many a Star League cruiser!”

“And you’ve still got your docking gear?” Helena asked.

Liam grinned broadly. “Aye. And according to the Protector, both Titan and Goliath are going to be assigned to the Saucy Sam when she gets all of repairs done; after all, after detaching the Red Hand, you’ve got two free collars.”

“They’re assault boats from Hell, ma’am,” Stiles muttered. “Damn, what I would have given for a dozen of these during the War.”

Helena nodded with a grim smile. So many things were so different today—the backwards technology and ideas of limited warfare . . . but then there were exceptions. The TCN of her day would never have spent funds on a 25,000 ton displacement DropShip—not when it needed raw ship numbers. But this design had definite possibilities. And those Hyper-Pulse Generators that she had been told were run by ComStar . . . she winced as she thought of the wacky pseudo-religion that had sprung up in the fall of the Star League. In her day, there had been no FTL comm; just what a courier ship could jump. What might have Marshal Santos been able to accomplish if he had these HPGs? And a government willing to carve up and rebuild entire DropShips to suit their needs instead of trying to build them from the ground up—lacking the knowledge to make the necessary drive systems?

Still, she thought to herself. I don’t like the idea of someone else handling our mail—it was far too tempting to imagine that they didn’t read it. Human nature being what it was, she would have been shocked if this ComStar actually did pass along messages without sneaking a peek—but she was certain that they took that peek. The biggest question was, though . . . what did they do with that information?

Information was power—and ComStar had a tremendous amount of power at its fingertips. What’s their game, she thought?

“Marshal Vickers? Space Master Zahra?” the GuardShips XO interrupted. “There is priority request from Samantha City for the Marshal and her staff to return immediately to the surface. From the Office of the Protector to be exact,” he concluded.

“Very well, prep my shuttle for immediate launch,” Helena ordered. “Space Master Zahra—an excellent inspection. I cannot wait to see this ship and her sister in action.”

“Thank you, Marshal. I’ll pass that along to my crew.”

“Dan?”

“Yes, ma’am,” her XO and chief of staff said as he held open the hatch to the bridge.

The Goliath-class GuardShip is one of the designs that I have made. It is based on the Behemoth-class DropShip and is ALL level 1 tech. (i.e., 3025-era tech).

7. Hm... things may have gone pearshaped...

8. Chris O'Farrell

Chris O'Farrell Peace, through Pizza. Subscriber

Ouch. Thats one hell of a flack-boat.
    No sure about carrying all four AC types though. Personally I would have dropped the 5's and 20's for 10s, but thats just me.

I bet no-one on that ship wants to hear the words 'Internal Ammo Explosion imminent' though...!

9. Hm, can dropships have CASE? If so, #1 refit for them would be to put in CASE.

10. True, they would have issues taking on warships, but for the dropships and jumpships that are currently running around? The thing is almost overkill, I say almost as there is never enough overkill but that design is getting there.

11. Chris O'Farrell

Chris O'Farrell Peace, through Pizza. Subscriber

THe word 'overkill' does not appear in the Taurian dictionary.

No really, they had it taken out at some point and despite the best efforts of the Star League, it never got back in :p

kashim2, stark40763, walkir and 4 others like this.
  12. "Rule 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'"

kashim2 likes this.
  13. jpdt19

jpdt19 Tortage

Um, without meaning to be a nit picker too badly, your fluff for the design says each DS of this type requies TWO collars?

So if the two trooper DS are gone, doesn't that mean the BB could only carry either Titan or Goliath?

14. I'm guessing Arminas designed them when the rules stated the larger dropships required two collars. The rules nowadays is each dropship requires just one.

15. SableCold

SableCold Lurker

Considering the Star League probably was the reason it got taken out in the first place... not surprising really.

16. Rodon

Rodon Lord of the... Confused? Subscriber

As soon as they can, I expect them to start building them effectively massed produced. As they are much easier to make then full up warships. If the treaty with Hansen goes forward, I can see him asking to buy a few of them as well. Lao will simply love what they will do to his forces.

...wait, I forgot, he isn't a masochist. My bad. :oops: :D

Prince Charon likes this.
  17. SableCold

SableCold Lurker

Yep. Building these babies independently will make for an excellent baby step towards eventually regaining full warship construction capability. As for Hanse, considering the one of the builders appears to be based in Lyran space, he could just ask for a license to modify ships he can get from Katrina.

18. captain melgar

captain melgar learn the words

could you do the same thing to other dropships like say the Mammoth? i could just see the 4 sepreate drives being upgraded
    might not be as well armored but they could still blow anything out of the sky

Shadowknight likes this.
  19. I just haphazardly and rustily did some middle school level math and I think that dropper masses 4kgs per cubic meter, which is about 5% the density of styrofoam. I loled. If I misplaced a couple zeros here or there don't tell me kthx.

20. Rodon

Considering those dropships aren't plentiful, its unlikely anyone will want to sell their ships (not to mention they likely really help trim down on the supply lines with their massive cargo capacity). Building the ability to produce them on their own maybe a good long term goal, but short term the Tuarians are going to have their shipyards spitting them out faster. Especially as the Tuarians aren't going to give Hansen naval tech.

21. Rodon

Don't point out BT's issue with mass/volume, its been known for a long time. Just ignore it for the most part.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

They need lots of empty space for stability, like buildings in earthquake zones. /uninformed bullshit :testsmilie:

Shadowknight likes this.
  23. I know, I started with BT back in the early nineties. It doesn't bother me in the slightest FWIW, it's like a well-worn running gag.

24. Exactly. When I wrote the fluff, I thought that the Behemoth required two collars . . . it did in earlier versions of the rules. But the current ruleset has just one collar regardless of size of the DropShip . . . so these babies would only take a single collar each.

MA

Shadowknight and gladiusone like this.
  25. Could be worse. Could have mounted Long Toms on the blame thing. What? NMothing in the rules against mounting a Long Tom on a dropper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.