1. Account registrations are closed at this time. Sorry about the inconvenience. Won't be forever, though, so check in from time to time. - CommanderRazor
  2. Hey guys. Good news regarding the site. Please read:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/sbs-future.304145/

-Face.

Conquest Quest [Exalted/Worm] Thread 7: Eternal Sunset

Discussion in 'A BROB is for you! - For all your Roleplaying Need' started by Sojiko, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Sojiko Smiling Witch

This is the story of Taylor acquiring a Twilight Caste Solar Exaltation at the beginning of her caped career. She then learn to live with this world-changing power, and will eventually work her way to saving the world even if she has to Conquer it first!

Already up to the 7th thread, Let's keep it up! All the way to total world domination!

Story Only Thread

Thread 1
    Thread 2
    Thread 3
    Thread 4
    Thread 5
    Thread 6

Here is the index, both updates proper and side stories.
    Side stories are canon, but not necessary to read in order to follow the main story. They include funny side scenes (humor), info dumps about Creation or the Exalted's powers (background), and long list of possible actions and their pros and cons to help players choose their next step (guidance). The last two categories are almost always Zeph talking to Taylor. A lot. Because this is here to explain information the players might need for their decisions, but are not necessarily important to follow the story, so if you don't like Exposition you should consider not reading them.
    Or at least not reading them all in a row.

Side stories are marked with their type so you can decide whether you want to read or skip them.
    1. The Before Time
    2. Chosen
    3. Reboot
    4. I Know Kung Fu
    5. Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting
    6. Meeting the Family
    7. Bravely Running Away
    8. Discussion
    9. Home Sweet Home, Side story: Magic, part 1 (background)
    10. Playing Hooky, Side stories: Magic, part 2 (background), Training Decisions (guidance)
    11. Training Hack, Side stories: Futures (guidance), Preferences (humor)
    12. Confession
    13. A Night on the Town, part 1
    14. A Night on the Town, part 2, Side story: Masks behind Masks (guidance)
    15. A Night on the Town, part 3
    16. Bloody Hands, canon omake by drake_azathoth
    17. Communication
    18. Response
    19. Sleeping On It
    20. Hanging Out
    21. Checking
    22. Preparations, Side story: Disturbing (the) Future (background, guidance)
    23. New Criminal, Side story: Surprising Swiftness (background)
    24. Cute Criminal, Side story: the Wards (Worm background)
    25. Crafty Criminal
    26. Smooth Criminal
    27. Interlude: the Wards
    28. Party, Movie Debut, Birthday
    29. Halcyon Days
    30. Insult
    31. Anger Management, Cold
    32. Interlude: Michael Phan
    33. Efficiency
    34. Cleaning Up
    35. A Calm Day
    36. Promises
    37. Meeting New People
    38. Morning Meeting
    39. Friendly Takeover
    40. Aggression, Side story: Discipline Issues
    41. Righting Wrongs
    42. Realization
    43. Trust
    44. Truth
    45. Introduction
    46. Friendly Chats
    47. Making Plans
    48. Assault
    49. Interlude: Sara Laas
    50. Interlude: Yuki Nakamura
    51. Spoils
    52. Multitasking
    A side story has been added to #39. I have also written a rather long bonus non-canon Interlude from Bonesaw's PoV in three parts, accessible below.

Not fixed in the chronology
  2. Sojiko Smiling Witch

NOTES TO SELF
    • Try to give Ladybug a job other than hostage taking next time.
    TO DO LIST
    • Spend time with Amy
    • Spend time with Rachel and her dogs
    • Spend time with Lisa (best friends forever!)
    • Spend time with Alec and Brian, need to get to know them better
    • Spend time with dad. Don't lose contact
    • Spend time with Mary-Ann. Sisters need love and she isn't a tool.
    • Spend time with Dragon. She's interesting.
    • Get to know your new minion, Oni Lee
    • Talk about Dinah with the Undersiders
    • Handle the E88's moves on your territory
    • Darwin Bark Spider acquisition project
    • SIMURGH AWAY! Extra strength! Keep pesky bird-girls away!
    • Learn how to sleep less to do more stuff
    • Learn how to warp or create time to do more stuff. Wait, I meant that as a joke, but could should I do it?
    • Purge the environment that made Canary's tragedy possible (it's in Massachusetts, so maybe after dealing with BB?)
  3. Sojiko Smiling Witch

Name: Taylor Hebert
    Aliases: Firefly, Sunset_Firefly, Mr. Jones
    Exaltation: Solar
    Caste: Twilight
    Anima Holographic User Interface: Zeph & Reya

Attributes:
    Strength D- / Dexterity C+ / Stamina D
    Charisma B+ / Manipulation E- / Appearance B-
    Perception C+ / Intelligence B / Wits B

Abilities:
    • Dawn: Martial Arts A- (Fighting Unarmed +++) / Firearms F / Melee F / Thrown F / War F
    • Zenith: Integrity B / Presence B+ (Seduction ++) / Resistance D- / Survival A / Performance F
    • Twilight: Craft C- (Wood, Water) / Investigation B / Lore B / Medicine D- / Occult E+
    • Night: Athletics C+ (Jumping +) / Awareness D+ / Larceny B- / Dodge F / Stealth F
    • Eclipse: Bureaucracy B- / Linguistics D- / Socialize C+ (Lying +) / Drive F / Sail F
    Charms:
    • Dawn
    • Zenith
      • Integrity-Protecting Prana
      • Friendship With Animals Approach
      • Spirit-Tied Pet
      • Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit
      • Element-Resisting Prana
      • Steadfast Elemental Emperor Stance
    • Twilight
      • 2nd Investigation Excellency
      • God-Mind Algorithms
      • Judge's Ears Technique
      • 2nd Lore Excellency
    • Night
      • 1st Larceny Excellency
      • Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise
    • Eclipse
      • Servant-Rewarding Benevolence
      • Sagacious Reading of Intent
      • Poetic-Expression Style
      • Taboo Inflicting Diatribe
    Knacks:
    Broodmother Awareness Methodology
    Hive Overseer Authority
    Eyes of the Swarm (x1)
    Thousands Move As One Stance
    Loyal Puppet Technique

Essence: C

Backgrounds:
    Past Life AAA - Reya & Zeph
    Artifact E - Silk costume
    Familiar D+ - Ladybug

Intimacies:
    Superheroing (Dream)
    Dad (Love)
    Terrible Trio (fear)
    Reya (Respectful Pity)
    Zeph (Exasperated Gratitude)
    Rachel (Empathy)
    Lisa (Curiosity)
    Mary-Ann (sisterly love)

Motivation: Work to make Brockton Bay a better, safer place for its inhabitants

Virtues:
    Valor B, Conviction D, Compassion C, Temperance D
    Virtue Flaw: Efficient Devastator's Drive
    Last Limit Break: A Calm Day
    Limit Track: ?????

Willpower:
    type: heroic
    state: mostly confident
    currently on: Multitasking (#52)

Mote pool: (warning, I often forget to update the state of mote pools, check the "currently on" part)
    Personal: full
    Peripheral: mostly full

Health:
    rest: tired
    wounds: none
    integrity: perfect
    ailments: none

Experience: 41

Training:
    Resistance (2/6 days) / Larceny (1/6 day)
    Appearance (6/24 days) / Charisma (1/24 day) / Stamina (1/24 day) / Intelligence (1/24 day)
    Solar Counterattack (2/4 days)

We are using a house rule with flat XP cost and training durations, see rule post for details.

Charms wish list:
    Orichalcum Fists of Battle (5), Ricepaper World Understanding (4), Solar Counterattack(4), Immortal Blade-Deflecting Palm(4)
    Tireless Sentinel Technique(5)
    Presence Excellency(1), Hypnotic Tongue Technique(3)
    Bestial Traits Technique(4*), Pack Trainer's Wisdom(4*), Swarm As One Prana(5*)
    Harmonious Academic Method(5), Chaos-Repelling Pattern(3)
    Heart-Unveiling Scrutiny (3), Know the Soul's Price(4)
    Reflex Sidestep Technique(2), Lightning Transformation Methodology(4)
    Bureaucracy Excellency(1), Bureaucratic Concealment Technique(3)

* near-instant training?
    color marks a bonus from training with the right tutor

Total: 148 XPs
  4. Sojiko Smiling Witch

That's the post meant for the stats of your minions friends and other Backgrounds you acquire.

Familiar

Name: Mary-Ann Hebert
    Aliases: Ladybug
    Heritage: Solar Half-Caste
    Inheritance: D

Attributes:
    Strength E / Dexterity A+ / Stamina D
    Charisma D / Manipulation E- / Appearance C
    Perception B / Intelligence D- / Wits C+

Abilities:
    • Dawn: Martial Arts C (Fighting Unarmed +) / Firearms F- / Melee F- / Thrown F- / War F
    • Zenith: Integrity D+ / Presence F / Resistance C- / Survival F / Performance B (Insects +)
    • Twilight: Craft F / Investigation F / Lore E- / Medicine F / Occult F
    • Night: Athletics E / Awareness C / Larceny D (Stealing +) / Dodge B+ (Ranged +) / Stealth C
    • Eclipse: Bureaucracy E+ / Linguistics F / Socialize D / Drive F / Sail F
    Charms:
    Call - Insects
    Domain Manipulation Scenario - insects
    Shapechange - wasp queen, wasp swarm, little sister

Mutations:
    Insect Speak (Affliction)
    Venom (Affliction)
    Tiny (Affliction*)
    Chitinous Carapace (Blight)
    Wings (Abomination)
    True Immortality (Abomination*)
    Vulnerability - Insecticides (Deficiency)
    Hungry (Deficiency)
    Hideous Form (Debility)
    Great curse (Deformity)
    Relay (special - works as a relay for Broodmother Awareness Methodology & Hive Overseer Authority)

Essence: C

Intimacies:

Taylor (worship)
    Alec (fun to play with)
    Brian (fun to tease)
    Drama (mwahahaha!)
    Syrup (delicious)

Motivation: Please her big sister Taylor

Virtues:
    Valor E, Conviction B, Compassion B, Temperance E

Willpower:
    type: heroic
    state: unknown

Minions

Oni Lee
    Skill: Parahuman (teleportation cloning)
    Relationship: first minion
    Trust: obedient

Michael "Flash" Phan ?
    Skill: Driver (street racer)
    Relationship: none (yet)
    Trust: decent guy

Followers

Azn Bad Boys
    Motivation: make money by any mean
    Size: 3
    Competence: 2
    Influence: 2
    Reach: 3
    Capital: 10
  5. Sojiko Smiling Witch

That's for the rules of the Quest system. How you can stunt, how to vote, what the vote means, that sort of stuff.

Stunting:
    see here: Rules for stunting (it's the last paragraph of this post)
    If an option wins the vote, the leading stunt for said option will automatically be chosen.

Number of dashes in front of the stunt

The important parts:
    A stunt describe the action you are taking by choosing a specific option. This gives you greater control over the next update. Interesting descriptions grant a bonus to your actions.

A stunt that somehow makes the situation worse (because it was actually a bad idea) will be adapted to avoid causing that problem. Although it might shift the type of problem you are having. That's because stunts are supposed to be good for you, not a double edged sword.

Voting:

How:
    Sojiko is not responsible if machine does not count your votes.
    When voting, please copy/paste without modification. Modification will make votecount harder.
    I am using an automated vote-counting script. It will count
    [X] option A
    and
    [x] option A
    as the same thing, but it will ignore votes in quote, and with the box un-checked.
    So [ ] vote A would get ignored

As long as there is a [X] on a line, it counts as a vote. But all the line is counted and he won't count two lines together if they differ by a single character.
    I vote for [X] option A
    will NOT be counted with
    [X] option A

Every time you shorten the vote by removing something from the line I wrote or you make a typo while repeating it, it creates a new vote to keep track of. And this is really annoying to handle in the end. I've spent up to an entire HOUR sorting votes, and half an hour more than one time. If you screw your vote up it causes a non-negligible amount of unnecessary work for me. Very much not negligible.
    So please, don't be a dick and just repeat the line verbatim. Copy & Paste makes that easy enough.
    So if there is even one character off in your vote line, I can just ignore it. And I have ignored vote that were badly written. I have also spent several hours correcting small mistakes in votes, so I'm not merciless, but please, I don't have much time as it is. Don't make things harder on me.

I am insisting because I've said this often and it is still common. In fact I made a comment about a specific thing to avoid today (shortening the vote), but before the day was over there were 6 voters who had done it. Right after my explicit request not to do it, including a quote of what to do.
    So since posters often ignore this, I feel it needs to be repeated. If you are going to add a comment on the same line as your vote ("[X] Option A, because we're worth it!"), shorten it ("[X] A"), or are going to make a typo ("[x] Optin A"), you might as well not bother posting.

Another mistake to avoid is to spread your votes across multiple posts. I think it only takes the most recent post including a vote into account.

If you see PosterA has posted a complex plan you like, instead of repeating every vote, you can say
    [x] plan PosterA
    or
    [x] PosterA's plan
    However you need to get the name right, if the poster is "larekko12", saying "[x] plan larekko" won't work.

Also, the program isn't perfect. Occasionally it bugs and won't count a vote. If you see that your vote is missing in the tally (Ctrl+F "your name" is a good way to check fast) tell me and I'll add it in manually.

What does it mean?
    Votes aren't just specific reactions, they have MEANING that dictates future behavior.
    Every decision made in the past will influence how Taylor behaves automatically during an update
    If the meaning of a vote is unclear, ask. If you think a choice means doing something which isn't written directly in the voting line, you might be reading too much into it, ask.

I am going to give a short explanation of what the first link talks about, the structure of the options I give at the end of an update.
    There are two things. First how to handle an issue in the next update. And the other is that the options are usually various degrees of a reaction to what is happening or various degrees of a feeling.
    The first is what you need to look at to know what each option will make happen in the next update. The latter is what sort of meaning it has for Taylor, and how this choice will shape her future actions.
    All the options are about handling the same issue, or achieving the same thing. If you can see what it is, you'll have a much clearer idea of what the difference between each of them is, and what you can expect to happen from choosing one over the other.

When voting, explaining why you chose this specific vote is important for three reasons. First there is the obvious reason, if other posters like your explanation they can follow you, so that makes your vote more likely to win. Secondly it lets me spot misunderstanding and correct them, so that you don't vote for something completely different that what you actually meant. Last but not least, the vote alone doesn't determine all the details, and one of the important thing that tell me how to write the effect of a vote is why the players chose it.

Here's a list of the main things that influence what Taylor decides to do during an update, roughly in decreasing order of importance:
    • The vote itself, obviously, but the ones you have discarded as much as the one you have actually chosen ; if one is "explain" and the other is "ask them to trust you", choosing the latter won't have you try to gain their trust by explaining.
    • The stunt. Describing how you go about doing the things you've decided to do is what a stunt is all about. A stunt can make me completely change what I had originally planned during the writing of the options of the previous update. Of course if I don't like the stunt you have provided, it will be ignored, but it's the easiest way for you to control more precisely what Taylor does.
    • Taylor's character sheet. If you choose "fight", your lack of weapon skill and your martial arts mastery means you are going to use your bare hands. Obviously things like Intimacies and Motivation and such will affect your decision if they are relevant.
    • Debates about the vote. I always pay close attention to all sides of an argument when players discuss what they should do. If you bring up an advantage to your favored course of action, unless I have a reason to disagree you can expect said advantage to be represented in the update. If you explain how a problem in the choice can be avoided or mitigated by doing something, there's a good chance I'll use your selection.
    • Reason why each poster has picked a vote. While I won't pay as much attention to those as the properly constructed arguments, I will read each and every one of them. I'll try to fit as many as possible, and try extra-hard for those that are repeated often. For example if many posters who select "Running Away" explain that they do that because they don't want to hurt the misguided heroes trying to arrest Taylor, I won't have her topple a building on them to cover her retreat.
    • Taylor's past decisions. If Taylor has solved problems by talking more often than anything else before, when she encounters a closed door she is capable of kicking down or opening with her burglar tool, she will instead decide to talk the person on the other side into opening it for her.
    • Results of the un-chosen votes. If there is 10 votes for "Ask them to trust you", 8 for "Explain", and none for "Run away", I am going to have Taylor hint at a few things while asking her friends to trust her, which wouldn't have been the case if "Explain" hadn't gotten any vote. So even if the option you had voted for wasn't chosen, it might still not be useless.
    Actions
    When you have some downtime to do as you please, you vote on how to use it constructively. Every day is split in 3 sections, of roughly 8 hours. A time slot of approximately 8 hours give a full (or major) action, while 4 hours give a half (or minor) action.

Every day, 1 slot is spent on a full action for sleep. When you get back late, it can be reduced to a half action, and it can even be skipped (but beware of exhaustion penalties), but nothing short of a full action spent sleeping will grant the roll to recover Willpower when you wake up. Note that 7 hours or 9 hours can both count as a normal full action, the duration isn't set in stone.

During a normal day, a half action is spent taking care of oneself and handling all the chores. This includes oversleeping a bit, cooking, eating, cleaning the house, shopping for clothes, doing some repair, maintenance on the gear, calling friends to keep touch, and so forth and so on. This can be reduced if you do not have (or take) any responsibility, and thus upgraded to a full action of socializing and relaxing. It can also be skipped entirely... But all work and no play would make Taylor a dull girl. So beware.

Then there is a full action, which is usually used to go to school for people Taylor's age, or work for those that are older. That can be used for training (which normally takes a full action) or any other major action you want to take in the day.

Finally, there is a left over half action. This is usually spent on hobbies or personal projects. Those working 12 hours a day use it for overtime. Most often this would be used to socialize with people, spend time with family, watch a movie with friends... It's quite possible to do something constructive with that time without causing undue mental stress as long as it is enjoyable. Even if it isn't, as long as there is some time spent in the day to relax, it will simply be exhausting.

Of course, a full action can be split in two half actions. If you are going to turn one of the work options given for a full day into a half action, you need to change the line. Turning "[x] <work>" into "[x] Half action: <work>" is the accepted format.

Finally, there are Free Actions. They are not actually free, but they account for things that last for a few minutes, half an hour at the very most. There isn't a hard limit on how many you can get of those in a day. When voting for how to spend downtime, you can add as a write-in:
    [X] Free Action: <insert description of action here>
    - [x] <insert stunt there>
    As long as enough people support it, and you actually have the time to do it with the rest, it'll be added to the day's activities.

As for multiple action penalties, they only happen when several things are done inside the same slot. Splitting a full action into two half actions will not cause that (but having less time does mean less result is achieved, of course).

Traits:
    In this game Traits are represented by letters instead of dots. First that's because it gives the game that Quest feel, rather than being an Exalted game. It is more familiars to non-Exalted players, and I want it to be as accessible as possible. Then it's easier to see the difference between A and B at a glance than between 00000 and 0000.
    Another reason is that the "+" and "-" let me have more granularity. That's good because it lets me represents human with more precision, and show progress more easily. Favorable conditions can let a "+" turn into a rank bonus, and unfavorable conditions can turn a "-" into a rank penalty.

Attributes (followed by example of Strength, Appearance and Intelligence)
    • F is crippled: unable to stand, hideously deformed, vegetable
    • E is weak: child, ugly, uneducated hick
    • D is average trait: office worker, plain, high school graduate
    • C is good: physical worker (mover, farmer, docker...), high school queen bee, erudite
    • B is excellent: professional athlete, professional supermodel, renowned doctor
    • A is amazing: Olympic athlete, world class movie star (who goes on look rather than skill), world-leading researcher
    Abilities work mostly the same way if you consider professionals rather than everyone.
    • F is unskilled
    • E is trained
    • D is experienced
    • C is professional
    • B is expert
    • A is master
    Someone who never put serious effort into mastering a skill would be at F. Someone who knows the basics would be at E. A skilled amateur or an inexperienced/unmotivated professional would be at D. C is the level at which most professional end their career at if they don't push themselves to keep improving. B would make someone famous at a local level, and able to compete internationally. Only the best in the world reach rank A.

For example with Martial Arts
    • F: can't throw a punch without risking to break their finger
    • E: know the stances and the mistakes to avoid, has attended the boxing gym for a while
    • D: definitely knows how to fight, possibly a 1st dan black belt in a lenient school, pro boxer
    • C: could be a close combat instructor, may regularly fight for their life, definitely black belt, ranked pro boxer
    • B: special forces, high dan black belt and possibly the head of a small school, title-holder boxer
    • A: elite assassin or spy, 9th~10th dan black/red belt and head of a major school, boxing world champion
    And now with Computers (that's Lore for Taylor & Mary-Ann because they get to lump it together with psychology and history)
    • F: might be able to turn on a computer.
    • E: can handle most bugs by themselves (reset button!), install programs, may have touched some scripts
    • D: can assemble a computer from parts, knows some programming, might have a job in technical support
    • C: often fiddles with the advanced options, can program complex applications, professional programmer
    • B: routinely modify the applications they use, state of the art hacking skills, renowned security specialist
    • A: Kevin Mitnick, world-famous hacker, leading NSA computer experts
    Now you can go ahead and take another look at Taylor and Mary-Ann skills!

Here's a detailed comparison of a casual, professional, and peak human fighter to Firefly. That should give you a good illustration of the difference in skill. And speaking of comparing the skill of an Exalted to that of a mortal, here's an explanation of the different rules the rest of Earth-bet has to labor under.

For those who wonder, F is equivalent to - (that's zero dots), and E to 0 (that's one dot). It normally goes up to A for 00000 (5 dots), and if there's a way to break the normal limit for trait it goes up to AA, then AAA, S, SS, and SSS for the max possible trait of 00000 00000 (10 dots).
    For Abilities a F means that one just doesn't have the Ability in question, and a F+ shows some familiarity with the topic. Someone with the ability to do first aid but who doesn't know squat about anything else in Medicine could have F+, and someone with a good enough knowledge of guns to know how to use them but who lacks any sort of practice might have F+ too, so he'd be considerably less likely to crit-fail and shoot himself in the foot since he knows all the safety rules to be observed at all times with firearms. F- means that not only do you lack any actual skill in the area, you are especially untalented, and probably have wrong assumptions likely to make matters even worse. Someone with Presence F- not only has no social skill at all, but he could have a strong tendency to insult others and make them angry at him, so a crit-fail is more likely.

For those who wonder about Background, they can be purchased for XP or not. If you do pay for them, they become part of you on a metaphysical level. Since XP represents soul-stuff, paying some to acquire something means it you somehow infuse it with some of your being. That is why Charms that protects your Traits from modification (like Integrity Protecting Prana) can be used on them.
    Another advantage is that they are secure from the vagaries of life. A friend who is an Ally paid properly will not one day change his mind, or be subverted by someone else. You will not accidentally lose an Artifact you have paid for. It almost always takes direct actions by a heroic character for you to lose a Background. If you are fighting a parahuman with powerful mind control, they could turn the friend above against you, and your Artifact could be destroyed in a fight against Crawler, for example.
    If you do lose a Background, you can recover it much more easily than you normally would, and the points paid to protect the old one apply to the new one. So if Leviathan ruins your Resources invested in the businesses of Brockton Bay, you'll have an easier time becoming rich again and when you do, you won't have to pay to protect it.

Use of downtime:
    To explain quickly, there are three action slots per day, one per 8 hours. One is spent sleeping, one is spent working/training (8 hours), and the last one is divided in two simple actions (or half-actions). One for eating, cleaning, washing, and generally taking care of yourself and your place. The other is spent relaxing one way or the other. Most relaxation options I gave you are about spending time with someone, and it'll be about 4 hours.

might write more rules things and stuff here later
    maybe

Health status:
    This describes your state of health.
    Rest tells you how you are with your general energy level. Eating, drinking and sleeping all obviously contribute to this, but mental energy is a thing too, so remember that all work and no play makes Taylor a dull girl. You usually wake up rested, but if you've really been taking care of yourself you might be pumped. After a day of work, you usually go to bed tired. Being tired isn't fun, but it's completely normal, and doesn't really give penalties. If you push it too far you'll be drained, and while it won't give normally direct penalties to actions it can still be a problem. Being overtaxed will cause penalties, and once exhausted it will extend to almost all your actions.
    Integrity tells you if your body integrity is maintained or not. Ongoing penalties from missing limbs would go there. Having no problem whatsoever means that the line will say it is perfect. However it tracks more than the state of your body. Mental issues Taylor recognizes she has would be here, except for the Great Curse which has its own lines.
    Ailment tracks diseases, poisons and other transient problems with your health. This line should read none when it's not listing what's wrong. It means no known ailment or visible symptoms, though.
    Wound tells you if you are wounded and how badly. This is rather straightforward. Hopefully you won't ever see anything other than perfect on this line.

Willpower
    This indicates if one is an extra, a mundane, or a hero. Normal people have a Willpower trait that usually range from 1 to 5, and while they can go above that (even if it's rare) at Willpower 0 one is a mere automaton. So the usual range is from E to A even if they can theoretically go from F to SSS (0 to 10).
    Heroes normally go from 5 to 10, which is ranked from F to A. So a heroic willpower ranked at F is roughly on par with a normal willpower at A. It is actually superior because those with heroic willpower can use it for more things.

Taylor has gained enough self-awareness that you have a rough idea of how much temporary willpower points she has at any given moment. But it is not yet enough for me to give you an explanation of what the terms mean. Use your own judgment.

Miscellaneous:
    canon!Taylor = Skitter
    Conquest!Taylor = Firefly

Here is an index of posts I made that say things about how the game works, some of them have been mentioned earlier when they were relevant. We can thank drake_azathoth for gathering those.
  6. Sojiko Smiling Witch

This post is for Exalted (and Worm) rules.
    Almost done.

Parahuman powers:

Parahumans use Knacks.
    Taylor's parahuman powers:
    • Broodmother Awareness Methodology: awareness of bug presence
    • Hive Overseer Authority: can command bug through BAM
    • Eyes of the Swarm (x1): can share Touch with bugs within BAM (repurchases for more senses)
    • Thousands Move As One Stance: supernatural coordination
    • Loyal Puppet Technique: absolute control
    Stunts:

Stunts are good for you, use them.
    When a stunt is voted, it will determine the general level of stunts for action related to the described vote. So the bonus can apply to more than one action.
    A stunt gives its rating (from 1 to 3) in bonus dice/ranks to the action it is enhancing.
    A stunt that succeeds grants bonus motes of essence (which are usually personal), and if the stunt is 2 or above it can give a Willpower point instead.

Stunts can be used to accomplish things that wouldn't usually be possible, but are still within the realm of mundane skill. For example defending against a blade with your bare hands (maybe hitting the flat of the sword to deflect it?), or dodging on a slick shaking inclined surface (use your fall to go under the shots?). Those effects never go beyond what an Essence E effect could generate reliably, and are instantaneous.

Stunts can also be used to wrestle temporary and limited editorial control over the scene from the GM. If you need something reasonable from the scenery to be properly awesome, a stunt can arrange that.
    Need cover while fighting in the streets? You stunt leaping behind the nearby car, no need to ask the GM if there's one when you can just edit it in. Worried about the safety of the bystanders? Explain in your stunt how you can return fire because they've started running for cover from the first shots.
    It needs to be a reasonable thing that could be expected to be there or happen. That goes double when manipulating extras (which you can do since extras are literally part of the scenery in Exalted).

For example, in an update there was a tourist with a camera filming a fight. Once that fight was over the character went and started another a short distance away. So a stunt was used to have the commotion from the action draw the tourist there so that he could keep filming.

Experience:

Experience points come from different sources.
    As in the normal game, 3d stunt give +1XP. There is also the +5 XPs from the Story completion each time an arc is completed, like in the regular game. Due to the different of pace between the pen & paper game and play-by-post, the arcs are closer to what is normally a session. For example here Updates 1-9 and 10-19 form two different arcs. They are centered around one significant event each, Taylor's Exaltation and Taylor joining the Undersiders respectively.
    Then there are XPs per update, which are the equivalent of XPs per session. A normal story update is worth 1 XP, +1 if you made a good stunt & choice for the RP bonus. Occasionally an update will be very short and not much will happen, so it'll have -1XP, but on the other hand if it is particularly long and eventful it can warrant a +1XP. Interludes are normally worth 0 XP since they are not supposed to feature any character development. But if I spend a lot of time writing a large one (like Preferences), it'll give 1 XP. Omakes written by other posters that are good enough for me to include in the main index are normally worth 1XP.
    Finally you can get XPs from OOC things, as first mentioned here. Mostly, it is about guessing things about the game. Discussing what is happening and how the world works is good for the Quest, so I am encouraging it this way. Guessing what lies beneath one of the seals of the Maidens is worth some XP, depending on how important and hard to guess the secret is. Guessing plot points ahead of time is also worth XPs.

As for Experience cost, we are using flat cost for every Trait except Essence, meaning that it isn't more expensive to improve an Ability as its rank raises. Mostly because the more you advance and the more each Charm is powerful, while Traits don't get the same effect, so giving a flat cost to magic and not Traits makes things way too unbalanced and leads to almost no one increasing them after chargen.
    This also allows the unification of chargen and regular game to avoid pushing the players to munchkinize and create ridiculous stats. To see how it works exactly, see table below.
    Sojiko said:
    Here are the XP costs used here (for the Traits this is the cost for a full letter rank increase, partial payment removes a '-' or adds a '+')
    • Attribute : 8/6 XPs
    • Ability : 4/3 XPs
    • Specialty : 2/1 XPs
    • Native-level Magics : 10/8 XPs (includes Charms and spells)
    • Unfavorable magic : 9 XPs (includes heretical Charms, Infernal spells, and Knacks)
    • Superior Magics : 12/10 XPs (includes mortals learning TMA and TCS, or DB learning CMAs)
    • Essence : Rating × 8 XPs
    • Virtue : 3~2 XPs
    • Willpower : 3 XPs
    • Backgrounds up to 3 dots : 3 XPs
    • 4th and 5th dots of background : 3~4 XPs
    • Stuff not on this list already : normally it's the old XP cost.
    Training:

Training for Charms takes the normal time (for the non-Exalted players: as many days as the Charm require ranks of Ability if Favored, and add the ranks of required Essence on top if it is unfavored). Training for Traits is as flat as the XPs costs, 1 week for unfavored Abilities (if favored, it is instantaneous) and 1 month for Attributes, regardless of rating.
    Your HUIs are very good tutors, so they can reduce the time to train the stuff they knew best in life.
    Things you do during the game can count as training to related things. For example spending a week crafting things count as 7 days of training Craft Charms. Spending a day planning a heist with your group counts as training for Larceny. Etc ...
    The best way to do that is to specify in a stunt for the action that you want it to count as training. When that happens I roll a number of dice equal to the stunt rating, and success means that the action also counts as training.
    You can occasionally mix several training together but Abilities are all technical knowledge, even Athletics and Resistance. The part you can train with mindless work are Strength and Stamina, not the Abilities. Trying to focus your mind on several things at once is hard, so you won't get the full effect from both.

Finally, you can stunt your pure training actions, which will reduce the time needed for something to count as your day of training. Same goes for having a good teacher.

Errata of Existing Charms/Spells and some custom material that is available to you:

Errata

Berserk Anger as written is stupid. It's one of the conditions that's the hardest to avoid, that cannot be mitigated in any way, and it is by far the worst effect of all. Small but significant modifications were made:
    Note that Berserk Anger may or may not feature in this Quest.

Here is another Limit Break that could be relevant:

Destiny-Manifesting Method also extends IPP's effect to the Solar's destiny.

Craft:

Adding new Craft abilities costs the same as raising Craft. Training times are as normal.
    The only Crafts are the 5 elemental ones, Magitech, Genesis and Fate/Concept/Quintessence/Reality (different names for the same thing).

Available Charms:
    To the question "is X Solar Charm available for us to learn", the answer is "almost certainly, in some shape or form". Whether the Charm is canon, written by a big name like TDO or Earth Scorpion, or one of your own creation, it works the same way:
    • If I judge the Charm is OK in the game, you can just use it.
    • If I notice some issues with the Charm, I'll tweak it to correct them
    • If the Charm is badly problematic or has a fundamental flaw, I'll rewrite it entirely
    • If the concept of the Charm is garbage, the answer is "no" and "kill it with fire"
    Here are some guidelines on what to expect:
    TDO Charms are almost all fine as is, he writes in a way that is eerily similar to mine (except way faster). Jon Chung doesn't write a lot of Charm, but they are very solid mechanically (although some stuff is now out of date since they were written to address some rule issues that have been corrected this game). Things by Earth Scorpion and Revlid are usually just fine, they are very good Charm writers. Plague of Hat isn't bad, but most of his stuff is old and written for an old metagame, tweaks will often be required.
    A number of 1E Charms can be adapted to 2E with some simple tweaking.

Here is my first post on the topic: On acceptable Ink Monkey and custom Charms

And here are a few unusual and custom Charms that are available and relevant to you.

Perfect Actualization of the Ideal Self
    Type: Permanent
    Prerequisite: Integrity-Protecting Prana ; Mins: Integrity E, Essence E

The Sun's Chosen has attained such a level of self-definition that defining his own reality becomes inherent and trivial to them. This Charm Permanently upgrades its prerequisite such that it cannot be denied. Whenever a Shaping effect would alter the Solar, that effect becomes Obvious to the senses of the Solar, and she can use this to decide whether to activate its prerequisite or not. Additionally, she may decide not to defend against a specific Shaping effect.

The Solar can waive the either the mote cost or willpower cost of its prerequisite for a point of Limit, or both for two points. If the motes are waived, the first 5 motes recovered are immediately committed to Integrity-Protecting Prana. If two points of Limit are paid, it doesn't count as a Charm activation.

Empowered by the symbolic rebirth of the sun at sunrise, nothing can prevent the Solar from taking her reality in his own hands. At Sunrise, her player can always activate this Charm's prerequisite, no effect can prevent this. Additionally, at Essence D reactivating the Charm at sunrise requires no Willpower, and at Essence C its duration is simply extended to Indefinite.

There are two final benefits to this Charm. First the Solar's player can activate Integrity-Protecting Prana even when Inactive, and second, no effect can remove either this Charm or its prerequisite from the Solar unless he wills it.

Radiant Sanctuary Meditation
    Prerequisite: Perfect Actualization of the Ideal Self ; Mins: Integrity B, Essence C
    Allows to extend IPP around the user to items and persons the character has Backgrounds for, or Owns. (full write up to come)

God King Aegis
    Prerequisite: Sun King Radiance, Integrity Protecting Prana ; Mins: Integrity A, Essence B
    The king on his people are one, and a god's will over his domain is uncontested. A god-king's people are safe under his protection. The God's King Aegis enhance Integrity Protecting Prana, allowing it to acquire the Leader keyword for a surcharge of 1 WP, this can also be used on social mass combat units. If all the individuals inside the unit have an Intimacy of loyalty toward the Solar, she can waive the Wp cost or activate it on behalf of the unit without being part of it, the link of emotion replacing the need for a structure.

Pack Trainer's Wisdom
    Prerequisite: Bestial Traits Technique ; Mins: Survival B, Essence C;

Pack animals can work, and under the guidance of the Lawgivers, they can learn as one. This Charm allows the Solar to use its prerequisite to train an organized social group of animals, like a pack of wolves or a colony of ants. In addition, it has other benefits:
    • The loyalty it induces in the train animal now lasts beyond the training, allowing him to give an Intimacy of loyalty toward himself to all those who benefited from the Charm.
    • Bestial Traits Technique can now be used to train specialties, Dodge, Integrity, Investigation, Presence, Stealth, War, or Wits. For the animals that have the required talent, it can also train Craft, Performance, or Larceny.
    • When improving the animal's health, instead of increasing the animal size by 10%, the Solar can give a point of mutation to be used on size or health related mutations. For example this includes Big, Exalted Healing, and Longevity.
    Master Teacher's Techniques
    Prerequisite: Harmonious Academic Method ; Mins: Lore A, Essence C;

It is the nature of the Solar exalts to not only attain greatness, but also to grant it to others. This Charm permanently enhance the Chosen's ability to teach with one of the following tricks:
    • The Twilight's mastery of theory is so great that they have no need for practical experience. The exalt can teach from purely theoretical knowledge as if they actually had the trait. When using this Charm's prerequisite, they don't need to have a Trait to teach it to others.
    • A good teacher has good assistants, a great teacher make them. A Solar can empower a group to serve as assistants, paying a mote per rank of Magnitude (up to Essence), and they will teach as well as the Solar himself as long as they are committed.
    • To a true scholar, the sharing of knowledge could not be taxing. Teaching never count as a mental effort for the Solar, and he can spend a number of motes equal to the magnitude of his student to make them effectively tireless for two hours.
    • Knowledge is a treasure, and the Lawgiver's teachings are even more valuable. The exalt benefits from 3 additional successes on any attempt to convince someone of the value of their teachings, or to make students pay attention and put in the efforts required to learn.
    • The master's eye evaluates the disciple with accuracy. By spending one mote when looking at a potential student, the Solar learn their Favored Abilities as well as any Ability they have mastered capability to teach.
    Characters with this Charm can purchase additional tricks from this list for two experience points. Using these
    abilities does not count as a Charm invocation – this Charm permanently enhances the Exalt’s capabilities.

Worthy Companion Technique
    Prerequisite: Spirit-Tied Pet or Any Survival Excellency ; Mins: Survival C, Essence C;

The Solar heroes are as one with their Familiar. This Charm lets a character use his reflexive Charms to assist a Familiar he can perceive within (Survival x 10) yard. This counts as the character using that Charm, but adds one mote to its invocation cost. Because this counts as the character using the Charm, it must abide by all of the normal limitations on Charm invocation. For example, the character can’t use a Martial Arts Excellency to enhance an attack and also use Reflex Sidestep Technique to help his Familiar dodge in the same action without a Combo. However, he could use either of these to help both himself and the Familiar in a single action.

Swarm-As-One Prana
    Prerequisite: Spirit-Tied Pet, Pack Trainer's Wisdom ; Mins: Survival A, Essence C;

Through the correct breathing exercises, an entire swarm can be turned into a cohesive whole.
    Allow to consider an entire swarm as a single animal for Survival Charms? Most likely. Possibly also for other Abilities. Might have some limitations or restrictions. Developing new Charms (or as the case may be re-developing them) has some drawbacks, including that you can't know for sure what you'll be getting ahead of time ...

Heart-Unveiling Scrutiny
    Cost: 4m ; Type: Reflexive
    Duration: One scene ; Keyword: Combo-OK
    Prerequisite: None ; Mins: Investigation D, Essence E;

The lawgiver knows the heart of man. This Charm greatly enhances their ability to understand others, while it is active, all attempts to read the motivation of other characters (see Exalted, p. 131) receive an additional Essence bonus successes.
    A second purchase of this Charm at Investigation A, Essence A gives the Solar the option to add 2 motes to the cost in order to reduce the difficulty of all these actions to 1. The Charm also acquires the keyword Merged (Web-Cutting Eyes)

For those who don't know what the Read Motivation action does, here is the effect of a successful roll:

Bureaucratic Concealment Technique
    Cost: 4m ; Type: Supplemental
    Duration: Instant (or Indefinite) ; Keyword: Combo-OK
    Prerequisite: Any Bureaucracy Excellency ; Mins: Bureaucracy B, Essence D;

Solars excel at every action they decide to undertake, but they need not show their prowesses to the world. This Charm enhances an attempt to conceal a bureaucratic action taken by the character. Any attempt to uncover the operation that is not backed by magic specifically meant to uncover secrets of find hidden things see its difficulty increased by the same number of successes it obtains on its roll. If such an attempt does have the right type of magic, the difficulty is still increased by 4.
    At Essence C the Exalt can also enhance attempts to hide an item within the bureaucracy by Indefinitely committing the motes spent on the activation. Doing so the character can effectively cause the subject to disappear in the depths of the bureaucracy, remaining hidden from all efforts to hide it. Investigation attempts to find the subject have their difficulty increased by the number of committed motes.

Forgetful Bureau Charm
    Cost: 10m, 1wp ; Type: Reflexive
    Duration: Instant ; Keyword: Combo-OK
    Prerequisite: Bureaucratic Concealment Technique ; Mins: Bureaucracy A, Essence C;

Forgetful Bureau Charm allows the Lawgiver to erase all evidence of one item or individual from a particular bureaucracy. Records are lost or destroyed, officials misremember facts, and so forth. The effects take some time to make themselves felt. A small bureaucracy is affected within a day. Larger organizations take weeks, or even months before the process is complete. So far as the Bureaucracy is concerned, the item or individual in question has never existed. Those with direct contact with the subject still recall it normally, but official records and other documentation do not support their recollections. New records can come into being after this Charm is used, but previous records are lost permanently.
    At Essence B the Solar can empower this Charm further, spending an additional point of willpower to turn it into an edict of obliteration. The effect becomes Obvious, but the process is over in a matter of seconds, regardless of the size of the organization. ID cards are slagged by cold white fire, brilliant golden auras surround server farms as they are cleansed, words fly from the pages and flee toward eternal darkness. Additionally, those who retain any memory of the taboo subject are compelled by the Lawgiver's innate authority to stay silent on the matter (which adds the Compulsion keyword), it takes 3 willpower to overcome this.
    This Charm allows the Chosen to create difficulties for others by eliminating all official records of them or for the Exalted to protect their own secrets, such as removing evidence of their group's activities or of the location of their lair.

Other
    cb_urk, TmDagger, Arcman and 8 others like this.
  7. Sojiko Smiling Witch

And there you go, the thread is now open for discussions. You might notice some minor differences above.

I've added the stat lines for the ABB, a couple of lines to the minions, and the description for the God-King Aegis. Also, the To-Do List is now first so that it's easy to see.
    TmDagger, Arcman, Wander and 7 others like this.
  8. Garlak "Lag is coming."

Hey neat, the "To-Do List" post is the second post now!

I'd actually forgotten we had that thing, until I saw it again. That reminds me of some things that might be worth adding:

Notes to self --
    • Note to self: Grocery shopping can be time-consuming and stressful due to inconsiderate assholes. Get somebody else (Ladybug? An Undersider?) to do it.
    • Making Brockton Bay a better place is your goal.
    To-Do List:
    • Brick Joke: ... Did I ever return that motorcycle...?
    • Find a good therapist.
    Aaaand a new addition to the To-Do List:
    • Deal with the mysterious benefactor behind the Undersiders, Coil.

That reminded me of a few additions that I thought were warranted to add to The List. This post is actually from thread 6.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuff for the "Not to self/To-Do List" section, from last thread:

-----------------------------------------------------

• Note to self: Grocery shopping can be time-consuming and stressful due to inconsiderate assholes. Get somebody else (Ladybug? An Undersider?) to do it.
    • Brick Joke: ... Did I ever return that motorcycle...?
    • Make Brockton Bay a better place.
    • Find a good therapist.
    Another addition:
    • Deal with the mysterious benefactor behind the Undersiders, Coil.
    FunkyEntropy, sun tzu and UberJJK like this.
  9. Sojiko Smiling Witch

The first isn't something to keep in mind as you do your things. It's something you need to do at some point, deciding who to run errand for you and getting them to do it. It's something you're going to have to do at some point in the future, and then it'll have been handled. Notes To Self are about things you want Taylor to keep in mind as she goes through the Quest, like for example "check teacups for potential ninjas", or "never trust a deal that looks to good to be true".

I can't believe I still haven't dealt with that first point! Arrrg!
    The second is a big fat no. You got a vote, you said "leave it to Taylor", she said "no". Until a vote changes things, she's not going to be wasting time on a therapy.

Fuck no, you don't get to use the name Coil. Just for that I'm not commenting further on why it's not included.
    Quantumboost and Dark Lord Bob like this.
  10. You know, we've got minions now. And that's really the sort of thing that minions are for.
  11. Sojiko Smiling Witch

The fire only starts consuming the wall when your body hits it, so that's still only touch-range dynakinesis.

Taylor is executing a plan after thoroughly researching her opponents with Tattletale's help. Do you really think she'd make such a huge mistake if she were dealing with Night?
  12. Yog

Just a (stupid) question: if we make our own currency, along the lines of OFF, only with Firefly's name, would it count as prayers / cult?

Also, are economics (which are basically mathematics) lore? Because if so, we could probably do something with that. After all, we have an organisation, and that organisation needs money, and needs to do business.
  13. Garlak "Lag is coming."

Ah so "Get somebody to handle grocery shopping" would be a thing on the To-Do list, rather than a note-to-self?

I'm pretty much just using that as a running joke of sorts.

Oh, I forgot we don't know his name yet. Switch that to just "the Undersiders' boss."

Why the hostility though?
  14. Sojiko Smiling Witch

If it's minted and everything yeah, it probably will.

As someone who studied a Master's Degree of combined mathematics and economics, let me tell you that economics are NOT mathematics. It's not so much about the equations as it is about what assumption you can make and what simplifications you need.

Anyway, the answer is no. It's Bureaucracy.
  15. Sojiko Smiling Witch

Because it's starting to annoy me.

Anyway, you're right that it's no reason to snap at you. The reason it's not on your To Do List is that you're already working on it, it's not something you need to be reminded of in the future.

Annnnd I forgot to talk about the worst offender (which was a big part of the cause of my mood): your Motivation is not a detail you put on your To-Do List to avoid forgetting about it. What's wrong with you that you'd even think that you need to do it?
  16. Garlak "Lag is coming."

I have no idea what you see the Note-to-self/To-Do List being actually for, and thus I just put down anything notable, ongoing, or a future concern, onto the list? Because it makes sense to me that that is what such a list would be for?

And because it doesn't make sense to not put down your Motivation somewhere, as a sort of *permanent* and *physical* reminder of *the thing you are most fighting for/most value*?

Once again, it just makes sense to me, that if you are going to have something like a literal "main goal in life", that you would write it down somewhere. Like on a notepad in front of your desk. Or on the first page of your main notebook.

I don't really see what's so weird about this??

It's our Motivation. Why the hell wouldn't we write it down, to make it *physically* front and center in our lives, much like it is mentally front and center in our mind?

EDIT: I mean, I can also see people not writing it down.

I'm just saying that if somebody did write down a life-goal of theirs, I would not find it weird.
  17. Gore17 Lord of Insanity

So we're going to be setting up an alternative currency?
  18. Dark Lord Bob LIFE FIBRES!

GLORIOUS SOLAR BITCOINS
    RCa and katreus like this.
  19. Carrnage Solidarity

Hahaha, no, A good currency needs to be associated with a resource of near universal demand that doesn't spoil.
    Unless you have a large economy to support you currency that works to.
  20. katreus Fax Caelestis

Well, this is Conquest Quest...
  21. Dark Lord Bob LIFE FIBRES!

The goodwill of your GLORIOUS SOLAR OVERLORD.
    TheWeepingMan likes this.
  22. uju32 Mad Doctor

So kidnap Panacea and make her ability the backing of your currency.
    1 Solar kiloBitcoin can be redeemed for one full body heal by Panacea.
  23. confusopoly Superstition is bad luck.

Or say the currency is backed by artifact construction. Just requires some bots.
  24. Lord Sia Sorcerer-Lord

Or use GLORIOUS SOLAR LORE to create a constantly updating table of relative market value which people can access via their smarthphones, allowing the return of the barter system in a glorious New Age fashion.

Or Energy Credits, that makes more sense. Each credit represents a certain amount of energy, a resource with a constant supply and demand. Like food, except more universal and less prone to spoiling.
  25. Gore17 Lord of Insanity

Unless there's a physical embodiment of those credits and values, won't work.

We can also create a new language with integrated prayers to Taylor woven in, though that's a very long term goal. They did this in the First Age, incidentally.