1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. Welcome Guest to the new SB! Come on in, we're running the newest XF version now on new servers. Talk about it here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/all-in-together.311779/
  3. We are having a contest for a new Spacebattles Logo. Come check out the thread for more info. Prizes may be involved.

FBI Investigating shooting incident at Tennessee Nuclear power plant

Discussion in 'Non Sci-fi Debates' started by Phyphor, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.
  1. Phyphor

Phyphor Lurker in the shadows

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...-tennessee-nuclear-power-plant-185128019.html

Ok, THIS asshole I'm betting isn't a muslim terrorist. I'm betting this guy was one of those "No nukes!!!!!" environmentalist idiots.

Or just a nutball.

What say you, SB?

ryuan and Cloak&Dagger like this.
  2. Night_stalker

Night_stalker SB's resident Advocatus Diabolis

Too early to tell.

MrEmperor likes this.
  3. Bacle

Bacle Solidarity

5:1/50:1 personal grudge between people gone way out of hand

10:1 anti-government whacko

15:1 attention whore looking for fame

20:1 environmental whacko

4. MrEmperor

MrEmperor Librarian

We literally know nothing about this other than shots were fired. Could be anyone.

uju32 likes this.
  5. "Escaped in a Boat."

What the hell?

UberJJK and Princess Bubblegum like this.
  6. Zorlon

Zorlon Grandmaster Asshole

If it was an activist style terrorist of sorts, why are people so wedded to using force to persuade others to do things the way they think things ought to be done?

Me, i'm dedicated to finding solutions which let everyone have their way so far as feasible. Why other people don't like that?

Flectarn likes this.
  7. Honestly, anything other than "killed instantly in a hail of gunfire" rates a "what the hell".

the atom and Phyphor like this.
  8. ACOG

ACOG Sentient Computer

Nuke plants need coolant, and lots of it.
    So most of them are built near nonclosed water sources.

I mean sure you could build an aircooled closed loop reactor but that is just adding unnecessary complexity.

9. Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius All in the Reflexes

Those hippies better not take my nukes! Next thing you know the government will be all up in arms about regulating private nuclear weapons.​

10. MJ12 Commando

MJ12 Commando Solidarity

You know, if I was a guy with a gun and sanity as well as anger issues a nuclear power plant is probably the last place I'd shoot. I mean holy shit the DOE's SRT guys? Their motto makes US military stuff like semper fidelis or de oppresso liber look like pussy kid stuff. Their motto? Ad finem terram. Fidelis tamquam post mortem. "To the ends of the earth, faithful even after death". They will come back from the dead just to kill your ass they're that badass.

More seriously this is the difference between shooting up guys who don't expect to get shot at and shooting up guys who do.

The Next, walkir, Vanathor and 18 others like this.
  11. Shrike

Shrike Delicious, give me more

"You'd probably die if you swam in the cooling pond. Not from radiation, but from acute lead poisoning"

12. Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius All in the Reflexes

SRT unit in action:

[​IMG]

13. stormwalker628

stormwalker628 NTR Subscriber

Holy shit, I have a friend that works at that plant.

14. JC - Interrupted

JC - Interrupted We Are Caltech of Borg

I hope you realize that said motto is something that was made up for the conspiracy theory book, "The Ultimate Psychopolitics, Mass Mind Control, and the Global Control System".

Gaius Marius likes this.
  15. DonBosco

DonBosco 11th century refugee

They really should just adopt that motto and pay the guy royalties because, quite frankly, that's the most awesome motto ever.

Malcolmo, The Next, Vanathor and 16 others like this.
  16. MJ12 Commando

MJ12 Commando Solidarity

At least one place which sells custom firearms and memorabilia sells that as the DOE SRT badge IIRC. That was where I first saw the thing. It's spread significantly beyond conspiracy theory at this point. Probably because it's ridiculously awesome.

If it's not originally real I think they've borrowed it anyways because it's fucking awesome.

17. Amorous Intent

Amorous Intent Solidarity

With a motto like that, they make fucking Marines sound like pussies by comparison. :eek:

18. Whirlwind21

Whirlwind21 The Real Merchant of Doom

Has he said anything about the incident?

19. MJ12 Commando

MJ12 Commando Solidarity

In the SWAT world challenge they beat not only GSG9, but some guys I've never heard of called BRUCE POWER.

BRUCE POWER. That's like "GI Joe" as far as ridiculous over-the-top codenames for HARD MEN go. Anyone who can beat a team of ELITE OPERATORS named BRUCE POWER is fucking fantastic.

20. Amorous Intent

Amorous Intent Solidarity

Look, I'm not saying we've found XCOM's squaddies, but...

The Next, Bacle, walkir and 9 others like this.
  21. DanTheVanMan

DanTheVanMan Oh, is that light is a train? Subscriber

Can you post a link to the SWAT Challenge page? Sounds like an epic event.

Also, were the BRUCE's located at the University of Walamaloo? :p

22. Or perhaps its something as trivial as that particular security guard banging shooter's wife.

23. Probably some red neck whacko environmentals
    tend to know all about nuclear secruity and would know bringing guns to a nuke plant would involve dying. As the srt
    just train and train as no one wants to attack a nuke plant.
    Met a Marine who had been guarding Faslane nuclear submarine base. Protesters are normally peaceful as they know slightest excuse and they get clobbered.
    Whatched some loons try to swim into the base on a pink inflatable dragon in febuary! He was impressed they got about half way before they decided to intercept them and then they wouldn't surrender until they were nearly unconscious from hypothermia!

24. Sadly, it's defunct. It actually looks like all of the SWAT competitions are no longer being held.

Bruce Power was the security team of the Bruce Power company of Canada.

25. Flectarn

Flectarn Solidarity

Not the MO of eco-terrorists. They tend to go in more for sabotage

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.