1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. Welcome Guest to the new SB! Come on in, we're running the newest XF version now on new servers. Talk about it here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/all-in-together.311779/
  3. We are having a contest for a new Spacebattles Logo. Come check out the thread for more info. Prizes may be involved.

Harry Potter Fanfic Recommendations 04

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Robo Jesus, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.
  1. 100thlurker

100thlurker Solidarity

That's just the foreplay...if it could be called that. There's slicing her breasts like deli ham, inserting a sodering iron into...places...fuck....hold on...gotta get the trash can...

2. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Ia! Ia! Kamina fthagn!

My worst place fanfic is still held by Artemis's Lover.

3. Meh, I've seen movies where they slice people up with chainsaws, dip people in acid, put them on fire, freeze break limbs, and a varity of other creative ways to inflict pain. Granted, they weren't good movies but seeing stuff like that in writing does not have the same impact.

Now perhaps if I felt something for the character I would have cared more, but assuming the plot/grammar/characterization holds together better than My Immortal I'd still read AiP before that.

Though I am surprised so many actually have read AiP. Especially since you're so revolted by it. Isn't it a bit like sticking forks in your eyes?
    Artemis - the cat from Sailor Moon - making love with a SI? Ugh. Furry and gay. You win.

4. biigoh

biigoh Fluffy Paws indeed

You have NO idea how bad Artemis's Lover was/is. It's legendary.

5. PKiller

PKiller More Dere Than You Can Survive

Please, I beg of you, as a personal favor, no more badfic/trollfics.

6. Lavanya Six

Lavanya Six Alien Space Bat Subscriber

For the first time since March '10, On the Way to Greatness has updated. The final part to Year Five clocks in at 17,799 words.

Summary: As per the Hat's decision, Harry gets Sorted into Slytherin upon his arrival in Hogwarts - and suddenly, the future isn't what it used to be. Spoilers for all books.

I've recommended it in the past, especially since it's one of the only two Slytherin!Harry stories I like. The author has a lot of fun using canon's yarn to spin a parallel tale. It follows the general trend of the books -- Triwizard plot in Year 4, Umbridge in Year 5 -- while keeping things fresh.

I felt this latest chapter was an interesting take on the concept of Independent!Harry. Following a bloody battle at the Ministry of Magic and the acknowledgement of Voldemort's return -- and Harry finally declaring his public opposition to the Dark Lord -- Harry spends the last weeks of his school year playing politics: with the Dueling Club, Slytherin House, his Quidditch teammates, Dumbledore, his teachers, his friends, his girlfriend, the Order, and the Ministry of Magic.

But this isn't the cocksure, morally upright Independent!Harry we normally see. As he finally starts to assert himself, Harry comes to realize that he's up to his neck in a political game that started long before he was born. Fighting Voldemort means that one night he's in the Minstry's basement, killing Death Eaters, and then the next weekend he has to play Quidditch alongside that Death Eater's mourning son (who doesn't know that Harry killed his pop). There are factions within factions that Harry never realized existed, and is becoming aware of his own prejudices and personal beliefs.

Most interesting of all is that Harry's friends are starting to become anxious about him. To them, Harry isn't just a Slytherin, he's beaten the Killing Curse twice, demonstrated impossible magics that won the Ministry Battle, and... they're very aware that Harry is setting himself up as an independent player in a dangerous game, and that Harry's values aren't entirely their values. Dumbledore and Hermione question the virtue of studying the dark arts or thinking hard about the why and wherefores of bloody purity and the role of Muggleborns in Wizarding Society. Cedric seems to have a dawning awareness that, through the Dueling Club (the DA equivalent here), Harry is quietly amassing his own personal army along the lines of the Death Eaters and the Order of the Phoenix. Even Scrimgeour quickly pivots from thinking of Harry as a stooge/victim to considering him as a political player -- and is ready to treat Harry with all the force necessary any ally deserves if they become your enemy.

There's a price to being your own player in the game, and I like how On the Way to Greatness is starting to explore the prices and pitfalls of that idea.

7. Blade4

Blade4 Angry Marine

8. A Different Messenger by SophrionaSphinx

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5602286/1/A_Different_Messenger

love "Harry is rescued from the Dursleys" stories but never found one that was quite right. So I had to write one myself.
    Harry Potter - Rated: K - English - Chapters: 6 - Words: 11,586 - Reviews: 144 - Updated: 2-9-10 - Published: 12-22-09 - Harry P. & Severus S.

This avoids the cliches of this type of fic. Snape only opens up to Harry gradually and decides to become a mentor to Harry for mainly selfserving reasons.

9. biigoh

biigoh Fluffy Paws indeed

New chapter from Chibi-Reaper,

Title: Et Cetera

Category: X-overs

Chapter 31 Title: Mars needs Men II
    Words: 2,989
    Genre(s): General
    Rating: Rated: M
    Summary: A place for me to put ideas that may or may not make it to full story
    status. If you can call some of the things I'm working on 'Full Stories',
    anyway. And one-shots now, too.

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4697579/31/

A continuation of the Touhou/Harry Potter snippet. :D

10. CuriousStranger

CuriousStranger WRITE ANYTHING

The Union a humorous oneshot where not everything in the Wizarding World is not as it seems.

11. Roosterman71

Roosterman71 General Rooster Brigade

Got some good updates:

Chapter 20 of Champions is up. Takes on the cliched Harry must Marry Fleur to save her because of a life debt. I like it because the author gives Fleur a good personality. A little emo, but not too bad. Really just a nice, sweet read if you're in the mood.

The Other Boy Who Lived was updated. Neville is the boy who lived, but Harry's the one with the power. Wildly AU but enjoyable. H/HR pairing.

And here's a shocker--Clell65619 updated Harry Potter and the Distaff Side Complete gender reversal of all characters in an alternate Universe that Harry stumbles into. Everyone is the opposite gender, except Luna. H/L. Clell's usually succinct and enjoyable writing.

12. darleyboy

darleyboy Grimbarian

Luna's usually the odd one out in most Alternate Universe or time travel fics.

To be fair though, if most people chose a Favourite Harry Potter character, it would be Luna, because she's awesome.

Oh, and i second your recommendation, i enjoyed that fic.

I'll recommend something when FF lets me back on.

13. Blackest Decision by BradleyFightingTank

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6136834/1/The_bBlackest_b_Decision

How different would Harry Potter's story turn out by the change of a single decision? How important is it for Harry to have a role model? This is a darker Wizarding universe than was imagined by J.K. Rowling.
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Tragedy/Friendship - Chapters: 10 - Words: 33,575 - Reviews: 22 - Updated: 9-23-10 - Published: 7-12-10 - Harry P. & Sirius B.

Sirius is cleared and gets custody of Harry, but he has to guide Harry, when Harry starts to display Dexterish qualities.

no slash.

14. JoeHundredaire

JoeHundredaire Patiently waiting...

Two reviews per chapter average and it's a Sean rec.

Someone wanna be the canary in the coal mine for me?

15. Tabi

Tabi Over a thousand stories, yet unfinished.

Bad rec. Stopped reading after the first two chapters.

16. It is standart fanfiction.net story . Not very interesting and prose is strange ,but it is not terrible .You will get bored really quickly

17. It's crap. The justifications used to make Harry ignorant of magic are utter shit, couldn't make it past that point.

18. The fic is a POS

19. Meh, while I wouldn't recommend it to others; it is on the low end of acceptable for me. Then again I'm somewhat desperate for fanfics. The main problem is as already stated, that there's no real reason for Harry to grow up ignorant of magic; even if Sirius has quit using it. It is not very exiting yet either. I prefer the one by LIne Ape.
    Darkly Dreaming Harry » reviews
    Five minutes pass before the neighbors decide to call triple nine; another ten before the fire-engine arrives. The Dursleys were dead long before that. Psychopath!Intelligent!Harry. Slight Dexter and American Psycho crossovers. HarryxMulti
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Horror/Humor - Chapters: 14 - Words: 29,558 - Reviews: 348 - Updated: 9-2-10 - Published: 2-17-10 - Harry P.

20. JoeHundredaire

Rec post with no link. Best rec ever, DorkTempest. ^_^

21. darleyboy

darleyboy Grimbarian

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5754212/1/Darkly_Dreaming_Harry

22. JoeHundredaire

Mmm. Second-person psychopath!Harry. I've yet to see a decent fanfiction written in second-person ever and this isn't the story that'll break that trend.

All aboard the SS Failboat for a world cruise.

23. I was strapped for time when reccing it, would have gotten to it at this point. Considering your lack of recs in what is supposed to be a rec thread, well you can kindly....

Fics by this author are rather amusing / despite the pairing they are not slash. HP Short oneshots.
    0-SlytherinGurl-0
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2257082/

24. darleyboy

darleyboy Grimbarian

I think it's time FF.net implemented a Slash/No Slash option to go with the Character slider. It's endlessly tiresome trying to find a good story when it's Harry/Severus or Harry/Draco every other fic.

Another option is to delete them off FF.net and upload them to a new Fanfiction.Shit

25. JoeHundredaire

Gonna actually find the balls to finish your post there, DorkTempest, or leave it as incomplete as your attempt at a a rec? :wtf:

Also, noticing you're not defending the "it fucking sucks" accusation.

Moving on, though...
    Harry Potter Returns by JBean210
    Look! Up in the sky! It's an owl! It's a broom! It's Harry Potter! What's he doing flying around without a broom? Harry meets Superman under shocking circumstances and they are both a little mixed up-with each other.
    Crossover - Harry Potter & Superman - Rated: K+ - English - Adventure/Friendship - Chapters: 8 - Words: 114,576 - Reviews: 80 - Updated: 9-24-10 - Published: 4-24-10 - Harry P. & Clark K./Superman/Kal-El

As far as comic/Harry Potter crossovers go (and please note that qualifier), this is a pretty damn good one. Or technically a movie crossover; it's using the Superman Returns continuity and just started getting into the events around the Genesis shuttle although there's definite Butterfly Effect compensation and we're not just seeing "Harry meets Superman and follows him around changing minor things in the movie" bullshit.

The Harry & Clark marking is obviously because they're the two main characters; considering one of Clark's contemporaries has a 12-year old son, the age difference is quite obvious and unlike student/(Sirius, Remus, Severus) 'shippers, the author doesn't find pedophilia attractive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.