1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. Welcome Guest to the new SB! Come on in, we're running the newest XF version now on new servers. Talk about it here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/all-in-together.311779/
  3. We are having a contest for a new Spacebattles Logo. Come check out the thread for more info. Prizes may be involved.
  4. We now have an official FAQ. The link is in the nav bar but can also be found directly here:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/faq/

Feel free to submit questions so it can become more thorough.

Healthy foods invented after 1913-14?

Discussion in 'Non Sci-fi Debates' started by Sucal, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.
  1. Sucal

Sucal I need a longer sig

Currently having this argument with someone whose rather ignorant and claims that every food created in the last one hundred years, and ever incident of foods ever being genetically modified are pumped full of evil evil chemicals (too evil to describe or even name of course) and thus are automatically wrong.

So I'm trying to pile up a massive list of healthy foods to barrage her with, and trying to dispel some of her Ignorance. Any chance you guys and gals could help me out?

2. Nutella. Wheaties. Vidalia Onions. Burritos (yes they can be healthy if you don't sit on your ass all day). Seedless Watermelon. Honey Mustard. Maypo. Chocolate Beet Cake. Panini. Chocolate Covered Ants. Golden Rice.

I can find more.

3. Dreamyr

Dreamyr Unpokeable

:confused::eek:

walkir, Quantum, Ralson and 1 other person like this.
  4. First off, define what constitutes a "healthy food". This is important because you can say "steamed carrots" and the person could respond "its not healthy because its been genetically altered and/or pumped full of evil evil chemicals (too evil to describe or even name of course)".

So, once you have a working definition(and assuming that the definition does not automatically exclude processed foods) just go to the local food store and looked for various dietary, low fat, low sodium foods.

5. Some people like it.

Also. Banana Bread. Zucchini Bread. Gatorade. Lactaid. Panko. Several mushroom strains (modern portobello for instance). Orangetti Spaghetti Squash. Yukon Gold Potatoes.

6. Except OP specifies health foods.
    Those are 20th century inventions?

7. How about widespread refrigeration, and food distribution networks? Greater oversight and food regulation?

DanTheVanMan and Jet Morgan like this.
  8. ACOG

ACOG Sentient Computer

Whatever it was I had last weak.
    Stuff cleaned me out so hard that the French and Singaporeans both offered me citizenship.

9. Define "health food". As long as you're relatively active you need things like saturated fat, salt, and cholesterol. Managing portion sizes is outside the scope of the question, I sincerely doubt having a few tbsp.'s of nuttella is going to condemn you to looking like the Blob.

1930's for banana bread as far as I can tell, quickbreads were quite popular then so I can imagine the same for zucchini, it all had to do with replaceing wheat and other consumables due to the war effort. They may actually have earlier origins but as far as I know that's when they were first recorded.

Panko was first made during WWII in Japan I believe, also I'm only referring to panko. Breading has been around for a lot longer.

I'll also add the Betasweet carrot, the boysenberry, iodized salt, flood resistant rice, genetically modified corn/wheat/soy (reducing world hunger YEAH!) and genetically modified papaya (disease would make commercial production almost impossible).

10. Zorlon

Zorlon Grandmaster Asshole

Would it help to go at this from a different angle? For one thing a lot of wisdom about what constitutes healthy food has been learned since that time. After all, there's a reason food today is so much healthier than mid century Western staples.

For another those evil chemicals have done a lot to improve availability of healthy food.

Finally, if it absolutely positively has to be a modern food invention, what about Smart Balance Peanut Butter?

11. Wetapunga

Wetapunga God Of Ugly Things Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

12. Sucal

Sucal I need a longer sig

Thanks for the help everyone

She posted one of those stupid facebook pictures that claims 80% of all foods we eat today weren't created 100 years ago and thus we should eat healthier. Then stuck to it like I offended her religion when I pointed out it was full of shit.

Not really. She thinks that 'natural' is good and 'altered' is bad.

13. JKuz

JKuz Solidarity

She must hate corn then; Humanity's greatest genetic engineering project!

14. cpj1227

cpj1227 Solidarity Terror Unit

She probably also hates cows, chickens, horses, dogs and cats. And every other domesticated animal too. :p

15. JKuz

JKuz Solidarity

I know right?

I wonder what she eats? Seafood maybe?

16. PainRack

PainRack Hebephile

I was going to go with calcium and other enriched/fortified foods, the 'benefits' of WW2 rationing programs that lasted to the modern age, you know, stuff that wiped out certain nutritional diseases and help prevent osteoporosis. But it seems like she would ignore that.....

17. blast flame

blast flame How far will we go if it means lighting the way?

Granola bars?

I don't eat them but they're healthy right?

18. Doomsought

Doomsought Sliver Overlord

Show me the studies.

Tractors, combines, and pesticides, these are what give us really cheep food.

19. Doomsought

Doomsought Sliver Overlord

But American hunger drives are sure to drive your farmers even farther into bankruptcy, that way when the drought ends you still have to rely on American charity to keep fed.

20. The question isn't "what give's us cheep food?" it's "what gives the 3rd world food, period?".
    Dwarf wheat (and similar strains of rice and other staple crops) saved millions in the Indian subcontinent and elsewhere.

21. Healthy foods? Like GMO, preservatives, synthetic additives, and all the other largesse of our technology? I make sure to minimize my intake of disgusting, disease-ridden, natural gunk and get a solid daily intake of honest-to-Man, processed nutrition. Just about all the good, wholesome stuff like that was invented after 1913. Before then, we ate out of the muck like filthy animals.

And no, I am not joking. I specifically look for and buy GMO when shopping, as well as a good spread of additives. I cannot wait for the day when everything we eat comes out of a chemical reactor.

22. Tuisto

Tuisto Besieged Lurker

Actually, I think part of the problem is the term "Genetically modified" as people don't understand it, thus fear it.
    There 'ought to be an education program that explains that all "GMO" means is that a particular foodstuff crop has had hundreds, or thousands of generations of selective breeding/cross-pollination to produce the stronger plants.

It's not like in a movie, with Evil! Scientists in a lab looking into microscopes to splice in alien DNA to produce killer tomatoes. But that is almost exactly what a "Anti GMO" protester told me she thought that GMO's were. She didn't believe me when I explained things.

23. blast flame

blast flame How far will we go if it means lighting the way?

Wait, literally alien DNA? People think that we have alien DNA? And they're not surprised that its not a big fucking deal in the media?

Goddamn. This reminds me of how 25% of the public thinks we have teleporters capable of transporting people around.

24. Jet Morgan

Jet Morgan Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

Umm any Crop species we grow is genetically modified if only by selecting varieties that produce more and larger seeds in the case of grains a process that is at least ten thousand years old. Root vegetables if you look at the root of the wild carrot it is nothing like the domesticated versions we grow now and is actually safer to eat, wild versions tend to have a lot of poisons to discourage large mammals from eating them. Let alone the Potato etc

Dairy products are actually safe foods to eat supplying calcium and various vitamins that are needed for human health. Selective breeding of farm animals to provide meat with less fat on it especially in the last 30 years or so.

Let alone as other have mentioned a lot stricter food safety regulations compared to the past. Yes there are some potentialy nasty chemicals today but ask her to look up what the Victorians used including Arsenic.

25. Flectarn

Flectarn Solidarity

I Have to object here, making staples resistant to round-up has done basically nothing to increase yields, and no other GM traits are widely distributed.

[​IMG]

GMO crops were introduced around 2000, at best they've allowed the previous trend to continue.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.