1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. We now have an official FAQ. The link is in the nav bar but can also be found directly here:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/faq/

Feel free to submit questions so it can become more thorough.

3. Round 2 voting for the new logo has started. It is non-optional, you must click here and vote.

MLP Time Loops thread 2

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Saphroneth, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.
  1. Since the first MLP Loops thread
    http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/mlp-time-loops.257060/
    is approaching the lock limit, I decided to jump the gun and create a second one.

The MLP Time Loops fic started as a dozen or so silly vignettes I wrote on the concept of Twilight Sparkle, and others, time looping (see the full description of mechanics below).
    Since then, I’ve just kept being inspired to write more, and others have also contributed (about a third of the compiled Loops so far have been contributions by other authors).
    The compiled version is on all three of the accounts linked in my sig. See below for useful link.
    http://www.fimfiction.net/story/98568/mlp-time-loops

Loop mechanics (general):

One person in a Loop, often the main character, is an Anchor. They are the person who first starts time looping.
    There is always at least one Anchor present in a given Time Loop snippet, though it may not be the local one.
    The standard pattern for a loop is that the Anchor (and whoever else is Looping there) come to awareness in a loop at a particular point in the story. From there, events will play out as influenced by the Loopers present, acting with the benefit of their foreknowledge, until either a predetermined end point is reached or all the Loopers have copped it.
    To be Awake is to be aware of the time loops (that is, to have gone back in time this time.)
    The Anchor is the only character guaranteed to be Awake. Even after others have started looping, it is mostly random as to whether they will be Awake this particular loop.
    Crossovers, fusions, and alternate pasts can also take place. It is perfectly possible, for example, to have the characters Awaken into a loop which conforms to a fanfic universe rather than reality.
    Loops do not have to be in chronological order, but it is strongly preferred that they not require a mutually contradictory order (where A must be before B and B must be before A.)
    Just about every Looper is very, very stir crazy.

Loop mechanics (specific)

Twilight is the Anchor.
    MLPverse Loopers tend to be very sane by Looper standards, and to aim to avoid unnecessary death – even though it’s temporary.
    I assume that the MLP Loops are about five years long.
    As of the point at which this thread is being started, the confirmed Loopers are:
    The Mane Six
    Spike
    All three Princesses
    Shining Armor
    The CMC
    Diamond Tiara
    Big Macintosh
    Gilda
    Trixie
    Angel Bunny
    Discord
    Nyx
    (I may have missed one or two.)

That’s about as much as can be covered without massive spoilers, I think.

2. Filraen

Filraen Bastion of the Fourth Wall

As I haven't read the Lunaverse (though I have familiarity with some concepts) I'm probably rambling: I felt it was dry and didn't get some things until a second or third read (like ascending to alicorns)

Ransom thought, if only the Mane 6 are awake:

I think the Looping 6 trying to solve this with as care as possible (as in, helping Luna's government) as this is still Equestria, even if a warped version of their base loop. That'd mean they have to make the relevant parties (Luna and the Lunaverse Element Bearers) believe they aren't the same ponies they know (Twilight a wanted criminal, anyone?)

Based on that one high point should be the whatever negotiatons the Looping 6 would have with the Lunaverse Element Bearers. How easily the conversation would escalate? I'm actually wanting to see the conversation getting so out of control (given the lack of evidence with only words) Twilight is forcer to take a page of Nanoha's book: making the Looping 6 call their Elements and give the others a face full of Harmony...

(sounds like bashing? probably true, but it isn't the intent)

...because the Looping 6 asked the Elements project some of their memories (they could have used whatever other form like illusion magic to project, subspace pocket, etc. but the fact they used the EoH serves to help them prove a point)[1] as proof. Twilight could even say she'd pay her sentence in "comunitary work" (helping Luna run Equestria).

[1] The other possibility is Twilight allowing herself to be hit by the Elements, knowing they won't affect her (this time, as she honestly wished to being Harmony), but that means making Trixie crossing the Godzilla Treshold for using the Elements so it'd be more difficult and counter productive in the long run.

Ranma-sensei likes this.
  3. from the last thread

in the Lunaverse, evil Celestia (called Corona) stayed crazy and evil when zapped by the Elements, she just briefly loses her powers and each time she regains them they aren't as strong as they were previously. The author hasn't explained why, simply thought it might be an interesting switch to have a major villain hanging over the Elements heads. This has had some unintended consequences with the readers and writers of the Lunaverse, like him not expecting people to figure he considered Luna a better pony than Celestia since Celestia just went insane to go evil, while Luna had to be possessed.

Zecora is apparently a seer and there's behind the scenes stuff going on where most people figure she's playing Corona's dragon until she can be totally redeemed.

Ranma-sensei likes this.
  4. That might make a good, if ironic, tagline for the Lunaverse.

The Law of Unintended Consequences, or "What, you mean people are drawing conclusions about characterization from the things characters do?"

Ranma-sensei, EasyCo and Indalecio like this.
  5. Just a little character piece, here.

Spike soared over the dense canopy of the Everfree forest, letting single wing beats and thermals carry him across the cloak of green.

Of all the things the Loops had brought him, he thought flying was the best.

Well, aside from the people who looped with him… but they weren’t things, anyway. Flying was a skill… or, rather, several. There were so many kinds of it, from the effortless speed of a pegasus to the pondrous flight of a great wyrm. Right now, he was about thirty feet in wingspan, which gave him options.

Humming a jaunty tune, he set a course south – then frowned, squinting down at the ground, and flared the big wings before coming to a hover.

Yes, there was definitely something down there that didn’t belong.

Spike let air slip out from under his wing membranes and gradually lost height, trying to get close enough to confirm what he’d seen.

Aha!

A large wolf loped steadily along under the dappled sunlight. Things stirred as it passed, but none of them did more than stir.

The canine slowed as it reached a low ridge, sniffed, and then turned a little and resumed the ground-eating pace. Leaf litter and twigs crunched underfoot, and when the wolf came to a cliff it bounded up in a series of huge leaps, ground-root-branch-trunk and then to the top.

Eventually, a clearing opened out in the middle of the forest, one cut by a huge fallen tree. Climbing the side of the trunk in a scrabble of claws, the wolf padded along to the middle of the trunk and sat.

Leaves rustled in a sudden, intense wind, as Spike backwinged into the clearing. He landed lightly enough on the end of the tree nearest the roots.

“Good afternoon,” he said cheerfully. “I didn’t realize you did this.”

“Not very often…” the wolf replied. “But the Everfree is the only really wild place on Equestria… sometimes I just feel the need to get away. And I feel… safer like this.”

The animal blurred, and Fluttershy was stood there instead. “But if you want-”

“No, no, don’t change back on my account,” Spike protested. “It’s not often I see you so confident, it’s probably good for you.”

“Thank you…” she muttered. “But I did bring a lunch, and wolves can’t eat chocolate. So I may as well eat now.” Fluttershy managed a little giggle. “I’m sure the big scary dragon will keep me safe.”

Spike posed. It was hard to tell if he was seriously trying to look macho or just trying to make her laugh.

A moment later, he dropped it. “I do know how you feel, though. It’s good to just meditate once in a while.”

“Thank you. Oh, would you like some?”

He waved it off. “No, I’ve been eating too much Bluejohn, I need to lose some weight.”

“Well, you’re too big for it to just be baby fat…” she said critically, and Spike laughed.

“That whole wolf thing is really working out for you, huh?”

“Sometimes. Other times I try being a leopard, or… something.” Fluttershy looked at the ground. “I’m probably not very good at it by Eberron standards, I just can’t get the hang of, er, hunting.”

“Really, that’s not a problem,” Spike said, shaking his head. “Instincts can be overrated. Take it from the dragon!”

They sat in companionable silence for the next half hour or so, as Fluttershy ate and then carefully stored all the leavings in her subspace pocket to recycle.

Eventually, the pegasus stood up with a purposeful air. “Nice seeing you, Spike,” she said, and blurred back into an animal. Spike was slightly surprised to notice that this one was a puma, but she winked at him and then padded off.

Being a druid was really working out well for Fluttershy.

Xana, MadGreenSon, Chase92 and 6 others like this.
  6. Stainless Steel Fox

Stainless Steel Fox Problem Adult

Loved that. Fluttershy is totally a druid. I assume this wa a leftover skill from the D&D loop? Actually, when I first saw it, I thought it was something she'd picked up from Lehman Russ.

7. All the Six kept many of their skills from the D&D loop, yes. (If you remember, Rarity used D&D-verse magic as part of her ascension – Shrink Item, which can store just about anything as cloth.)
    And while the ability is from the D&D verse, her single most preferred form by now is pure Russ/Rush. (Hmmm... as and when that Lemon Rush Loop turns up, it might be interesting to have her turn into a wolf at some point.)
    Remember, too, the first 40K Loop significantly post-dates the D&D Loop, because Rarity came before Pinkie in the ascension order.

Ranma-sensei likes this.

8. I was doing all six being awake and them using their Alicorn forms as proof they aren;t the Lunaverse versions

Honestly, I kind of like the Lunaverse but I'm not sure I feel comfortable enough writing the main characters to do much more.

9. Richardson

Richardson Solidarity

Trying once again: How about a loop where we pick up at a point where due to sisterly shenanigans getting out of hand near the Elements of Harmony, Luna and Celestia have found themselves turned into a conjoined twin set until they learn to get along with each other.

10. Stavaros_Arcane

Stavaros_Arcane All Arguments invalidated.

And I've just gotten the horrible yet hilarious image of them being stuck together like CatDog or the two headed Llama from Doctor Dolittle; with one head on each end.

Cue 'Horse's ass' puns and insults.

Chojomeka likes this.
  11. Richardson

Richardson Solidarity

I was thinking more Cerberus-like. Though that was an option, yeah. Extra points if Twilight gets snagged into the conjoined body for ticking off both of them with snarking, forgetting that the Elements are right there, listening...

Resulting in her stuck between two bickering sisters until the loop ends, or until they get along without playing 'Tell Luna that I-' games.

Ranma-sensei likes this.
  12. Firefinder12

Firefinder12 Trying to fix stuff. And failing epically.

Hell why not have that happen to the entire Mane 6?

13. Richardson

Richardson Solidarity

Because they're not ancient sisters and it wouldn't be as funny?

14. Firefinder12

Firefinder12 Trying to fix stuff. And failing epically.

What not funny? They are six very different beings who all have to share the same body with six heads. That will be amusing.

15. Filraen

Filraen Bastion of the Fourth Wall

That was great. Bonus points for showing a pair of characters who usually aren't seen in snippets interacting together.

16. Uh, except for the multiple times where they've all been sisters for (most likely) longer than Celestia and Luna?

Honestly, might as well just have all the loopers stuck together. That'd be a sight.

17. elmagnifico

elmagnifico The Great Western Way

Dangit easy, we're trying NOT to make Yog-Ponysthoth here.

Ranma-sensei likes this.
  18. There should be a Bioshock Infinite loop due to its familiarity with Tears and the multiverse.

19. Could the Humane-Six also be looping? Including the Equestria Girls!Twilight Sparkle?

20. Vulpine Fury

Vulpine Fury OOH YEAH!

Heck, an Equestria Girls loop where all the loopers are their human equivalents could be interesting, especially if Twilight loops into her native alternate and all her friends have loop memories of awkward-pony-princess Twilight...

Darn autocorrect...

21. Wing Zero 032

Wing Zero 032 This is no Zaku, boy. NO ZAKU!

I do wonder how would it be a loop where Pony Twilight was actually killed by the elemens of harmony at the end of Magic Mistery Cure and some time later ponyfied Human Twilight from Equestria Girls (Actually Looper Twilight) gets "accidentally" transported to Equestria to replace the now deseased Pony Twilight? I think hilarity, chaos and confusion would ensure, especially if we throw a panicking pink premier party pony into the mix when she see Twilight arriving to Ponyville, she would be claiming that "Ghost Zombie Twilight has returned from the other side to get her revenge and take their souls with her back to tartarus"

22. Would they even need the Magical Mystery tour episode anymore? I mean they're already all alicorns. Probably they just skip the whole thing for most loops.

23. Malbutorius

Malbutorius Uncle of Luna and Celestia

none of them are awake probably.

24. .....Eberron, you say?

Apple Bloom d'Cannith
    Lightning Dash d'Lyrander (or d'Orien. The weather aspect points to Lyrander, but Orien fits the speed aspect oh so well)
    Fluttershy d'Vadalis
    Twilight Sparkle d'Sivis
    Trixie d'Phiarlan
    Sombra d'Tarkanan (or d'Vol - both fit)

Not sure on anyone else, though.

25. It's just one of the standard D&D settings that I can refer to as a Loop location name. (They wouldn't call it Dungeons and Dragons - they have enough at home.)

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.