1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. Isil`Zha has been promoted to full Administrator.

[Oppression Intensifies]

3. Are you good at managing/creating Xenforo styles? Do you want to work on making SB's custom style even betterer? If so, PM The Observer!

NGE: Nobody Dies (the dedicated update/stuff thread)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by GreggHL, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

Okay, kids, places everyone. We're going to get this introduction out of the way so we stop cluttering up the recommendation thread with

"Heee~ey."

Jesus Christ. Don't sneak up on me like that, Rei.

"What'cha doin'?"

I'm getting you kids in order so we can get the introductions out of the way. Go stand with the other kids so I can introduce you to everyone else, please.

"'Kay."

Thank you Rei. I'm putting you all in line order. Please stand next to Asuka, and don't...no, Rei, she's a little twitchy after the last chapter, and what you're doing is just going to...

*sigh*

Shinji, Asuka's bawling. Please get Rei to stop playing with her boobs like they're some sort of stress ball. Yes, Kensuke, that's because this isn't a lemon I've put you in, and if you don't behave, I'm going to more elaborate on the 'prison bitch' scenario Rei told you about.

Okay.

We're done?

Good.

Well, on actually a very good suggestion from Johen C, I'm putting up this dedicated thread to my fanfic, Neon Genesis Evangelion: Nobody Dies. For answers on why everyone does not behave in canon, click the link.

I'll start putting up character profiles soon enough, and will answer questions here.

First off: From Jim Starluck

I'm figuring it's three things, because I am not a scientist and I'm somewhat lazy.

1) Kaji's exaggerating. It's practically canon he's full of s___ half the time and probably just wanted to get a reaction out of Misato, Kyoko, or Ritz.

2) I didn't check the numbers at all. I'll probably edit it to something more reasonable, such as, say, .025 lightspeed or something more real-world as Mach 8, which is something modern Rail Guns are capable of doign.

3) The Angels are significantly tougher here, and Ramiel deflected the entire blast from the Positron Canon with its AT Field. The AT Field here needed significantly more than 180 gigawatts to pierce, and while Jet Alone orbital dropping on it was overkill, the JSSDF does not believe that Overkill is over the top.

Otherwise they wouldn't have built Jet Alone Prime in the first place.
  2. Tabi Over a thousand stories, yet unfinished.

1. Does Gendo get laid frequently now? He seems more...stable.

2. Just who was the poor fuck did Kyoko do to become pregnant with Uriel and Asuka? And the relationship with brother and sister appears to be rather tenuous in of itself. The most recent chapter showed an inkling of his internal reasoning. Uriel appears to try his best to coddle Asuka, formerly she appears to get what she can from him, but recently he sees Shinji as a threat to Asuka and his dominance over her. Its a twisted sense of brotherly protectiveness, but also natural. The only twisted part of the relationship appears to be his reasoning that because he is so superior, he is obviously right.

Asuka's eventual emergence from her shell is probably causing Uriel some grief. He may have some form of need to be stabilized by having Asuka rely on him alone for comfort. It is obviously he loves his sister, but he needs her more than she needs him now.

3. Will Touji be dragged in into Rei's madness?

4. Will there be more music making?

5. If you were to assign theme songs to the various characters in Nobody Dies, what would they be?
  3. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

1. Does Gendo get laid frequently now? He seems more...stable.

Every chance he gets. I'll write out the scene for the next chapter.

2. Just who was the poor fuck did Kyoko do to become pregnant with Uriel and Asuka? And the relationship with brother and sister appears to be rather tenuous in of itself. The most recent chapter showed an inkling of his internal reasoning. Uriel appears to try his best to coddle Asuka, formerly she appears to get what she can from him, but recently he sees Shinji as a threat to Asuka and his dominance over her. Its a twisted sense of brotherly protectiveness, but also natural. The only twisted part of the relationship appears to be his reasoning that because he is so superior, he is obviously right.

Asuka's eventual emergence from her shell is probably causing Uriel some grief. He may have some form of need to be stabilized by having Asuka rely on him alone for comfort. It is obviously he loves his sister, but he needs her more than she needs him now.

I'm of two minds on the subject. The Manga elaborated on the sort of person Kyoko was, in that she and her husband split and she went to a high-class sperm bank to get herself pregnant with Asuka. As for Uriel, that comes up later. Needless to say, I'm using the Manga version of Kyoko for this, who more or less raised Asuka to hate her ex-husband's daughter.

As for Uri...he's complicated. He loves his sister, but this is also someone who was raised by Kyoko. Like Asuka, he is submissive towards Kyoko in that he never realizes that the best way to help his sister would be by standing up to their mother. As for his relationship with Shinji, remember that he used to think he was the greatest pilot of all. Then the Commander's son comes in, kills three Angels, and now Asuka practically worships the ground he walks on.

3. Will Touji be dragged in into Rei's madness?

More the merrier.

4. Will there be more music making?

I figure each Angel has a song which only Rei can hear. Leilel's will be the theme from Katamari Damarcy.

5. If you were to assign theme songs to the various characters in Nobody Dies, what would they be?

Rei's theme is Escape from the City from Sonic Adventure 2.
  4. Tabi Over a thousand stories, yet unfinished.

One final question as you still appear to be online and no one (I know of at least) else is asking: Are you taking on betas?</hope>
  5. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

Eh, sure. I never take the time to beta-read my own stuff, mainly because I'm impatient, but I'm more than willing to beta read others.

That probably would help if I got someone to beta read my stories, though.
  6. Tabi Over a thousand stories, yet unfinished.

Then you've a new beta. Tarva would be my fanfiction.net penname.
  7. Chaos Blade Procrastinating Writer

regarding the Jet Alone speed, sure, overkill is nice and all, but the speeds you used would have vaped tokyo-3 through 1 and caused massive redecoration of the countriside.

Mind you it would have turned Adam and Lilith if both present in the area into its component particles, and wiked cool to watch, but killing all the characters so early in hte story would be a bit of a downside
  8. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

Rei
    Abilities: Indeterminable superhuman strength, speed, durability. Can project an AT Field, possibly can fly or feather-fall, and apparently perceives reality a few steps removed from our own.
    Personality: Enough enthusiasm to power the Positron Cannon by sheer will alone. There are theories that she is not allowed pets due to an 'incident' involving twenty three baby bunnies shortly after her adoption, at which point Yui decided human contact would be better as they 'bounce back faster.' To refer to her as 'happy' would be an understatement. To refer to her as 'f___ing insane' would imply she has no control over her actions. Eventually, it was decided by the MAGI to simply label her personality as 'Rei.'
    Relations to the cast:
    The Ikaris (Adoptive parents): Yui loves the girl, she does. She does, however, also have 'Our deepest regrets' letters written up to the parents of all Rei's friends.
    Shinji (Adoptive brother): He get weirded out by her, mainly due to the 'shower' incident. Has been told he needs to befriend her.
    Asuka: Best friend/pen pal. Rei's sheer enthusiasm, though, can push Asuka further into her shell.
    Kensuke Aida: Bestest best friend. They're practically made for each other. Ken wants to experience what the Eva program is like, and Rei's giving him a good sloppy faceful of it. It's not as much love as just that Kensuke's personality and enthusiasm for the weirdness soaks up Rei's own brand of batshit perfectly.

What the HELL was I thinking: The exact reason I took the stoic, unemotional mascot of the franchise and turned her into a Genki Eldritch Abomination is actually a running process. Originally, this Rei was going to be more openly emotional and happy, with mild superhuman abilities evident when she dragged Shinji through Tokyo-3 after cheesing off Sachiel. Then I decided on the scene where she kills Mini-Sachiel with her bare hands and just went with her being happily batshit.

Originally, this was going to be a facade. Originally, she was going to have been closer to canon Rei, until the Third Angel, which did something to her psyche. Then I decided to dump all the psychological damage on Asuka and keep Rei as being cheery, partially because of her being raised by Yui and partially because her origin is going to be considerably different from the canon version of Rei.

Speaking of which, around Chapter 9 or 10 I will be going into Rei's actual origin. Basically: In a world where Gendo Ikari is not trying to pervert Instrumentality to reunite with his wife, who built Rei? And why?
  9. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

Sounds good. Do you have any IM programs?
  10. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

Yeah, I'm probably going to edit it so Kaji tells them it's launched at Mach 12 or so. Fast enough for only momentary difference between launch and impact, but not enough to glass far east Asia.
  11. RazorSmile ROU Once A Knife Missile

- "Meta Encapsulated Granule Awareness System" - heh. Got it right away.

- Maya's crush on Ritsuko is never not funny :D

- Maya doing the math is never not funny

Questions, questions ... I won't ask where Akagi Naoko is since I'm sure that's going to come up in future chapters. Hmm, okay. The overall game plans of the respective players will have drastically changed. Yui is alive so Gendo isn't trying to bring her back. Yui is apparently running shit. SEELE seems to have a lot less control over her because she's doing such excellent work (I mean, Dirac Armory!? Too awesome but I digress) but I assume their endgame remains the same.

No part of that was a question. Spoilers are the flame to my moth.

It is a fairly defensible assumption that the answer to the question I carefully did not ask is directly connected to the alternative means by which the EVAs were made ... heeheehehhehHA ... safe for piloting. True or false?
  12. Tabi Over a thousand stories, yet unfinished.

Check your PMs.
  13. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

Did, thanks.
  14. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

From RazorSmile;

- Maya's crush on Ritsuko is never not funny :D

Everyone knows Maya is Gay for Ritsuko. The only question is if Ritsuko knows this, as well.

- Maya doing the math is never not funny

I subscribe to the belief that Maya knows everything. Everything.

It is a fairly defensible assumption that the answer to the question I carefully did not ask is directly connected to the alternative means by which the EVAs were made ... heeheehehhehHA ... safe for piloting. True or false?

Sort of. We'll be seeing what happened to the third of the Bitches of Eastwick shortly. Safe to say, Naoko had quite an impact on everyone else and how things work. Whether this is good or bad...well, that's another story.
  15. Tabi Over a thousand stories, yet unfinished.

I had a sudden thought. Is Kaworu going to be just as or even creepier and weirder than Rei?
  16. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

Eh, why not? Manga Kaworu murders kittens, so I'm sure I can think of something.
  17. Tabi Over a thousand stories, yet unfinished.

Isn't that fanon?
  18. Jim Starluck CO, ICS Vanguard

Personally, I chalked it up to FanFic Authors Have No Sense Of Scale, or more specifically that most people don't realize just how mind-bogglingly incredibly fast the speed of light is compared to our everyday reference frames. You would not be the first or last by far to fall victim to this, so it's not really your fault.

I figured this from the start, but then Maya seemed to take it at face value and didn't freak out that they were all about to get vaporized. Also, you don't really need to censor yourself here on SB; we don't give a damn. :p

The 3,207 meters per second I quoted before is already Mach 9.4, and 0.025 lightspeed would still be 7,500 km/s or roughly Mach 22,058. Even very tiny fractions of lightspeed are still ridiculously fast. If you want a reasonable number, it's going to be such a small fraction of lightspeed that it won't sound very impressive at all; you'll be much better off going with the Mach number.

Hey, I can't argue with that. There's no kill like overkill, as I always say. :D

Anyway, if you want to give me a ballpark figure for how much more energy is needed to break Ramiel's AT Field--i.e. 2 times, 3 times, etc.--I can quote you a specific speed, no problem.
  19. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

I just edited it to being fired at Mach 12. That's about 1.5 times as fast as the Navy's current Rail Gun prototype, and at that speed 35,000 tons of giant robot hits pretty damn hard.
  20. Jim Starluck CO, ICS Vanguard

Ah yes, just saw that on a re-read. You wind up with a KE of about 291 gigajoules, or roughly 62% more energy than was originally needed. Sounds about right. *thumbs up*
  21. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

I think this does mean I topped Gaghiel. This is eventually just going to get to the point of escalation where destroying Tabris involves dropping the sun on him.
  22. Jim Starluck CO, ICS Vanguard

Pfft, nah.

Just the moon will suffice. :p
  23. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

No, that will be needed for Zeruel.
  24. Tabi Over a thousand stories, yet unfinished.

Do you have to kill the poor sod? You could just make him Rei's bitch.
  25. GreggHL Engaging hilarity engine/air oscillation booster.

Ah, so make him bed for death? *takes down notes*

I think I'm at least three chapters away from the next Angel, though. I'm tossing it up in the air if it's Israfel, Sahaquel, or Matariel. I'm saving Sandalphon for something...special.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.