1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.

Spike Lee: Epic rant on white hipsters moving into crappy NYC neighborhoods

Discussion in 'Non Sci-fi Debates' started by badrobot1001, Feb 28, 2014.

1. badrobot1001 Now accepting donations for metal legs surgery

Regentrification. Discuss.

Original:

And something a bit more intelligible:

2. *snort* Classy. Not "stay classy", but "this is the civilized response when someone is trying to drag you into the mud."
    Amadan, Teln, Les and 4 others like this.
  3. SkylineDrifter Master of the Obvious

I think that Lee had two very valid points. Residents deserved safety and services before the hipsters moved in, and it sucks that longtime residents may have to move because they can't pay the rent anymore. That said, it's not the new residents' fault that services and safety sucked before they arrived. They're not responsible for the breadth of society's inequity. Lee and others need to cut these people some slack, even if they are assface hipsters.
    Posbi, Furiko, Roadie and 1 other person like this.
  4. hance1986 Bolo Commander

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Old Spike might be on to something. MLK had a dream, and this wasn't it.
    lackofgravitas and Cloak&Dagger like this.
  5. Cap'n Chryssalid the armor piercing wang

I hate change, too. Just when you think things are the way they should always be forever, suddenly a new iphone comes out. Or, you know, something else. Stop changing so much, world! GAH. Srsly.
    Acatalepsy likes this.
  6. Rockhound Woodchipper beats everything.

Spike Lee II: The Search For Relevancy!

-Now in (twelve) theaters!
  7. I suppose I'm the ultra-hipster in this regard. I've always wanted to move into a crappy neighbourhood in the city, specifically to avoid middle-class white kids my own age.

:( Now I find out that they'll just follow me in a year or three.
  8. Fell Can't even handle it

Buddy if you want to escape those you've got to move to Afghanistan or Antarctica.
    Fancy Face likes this.
  9. Les I'm a bunny again, huzzah!

Nah, just move to a more rural area and start collecting NASCAR memorabilia. Worse that'll happen is Hipsters will enjoy your lifestyle 'Ironically' through a cheesy reality-show. :D
    Sum Sine Regno and Doucheatron like this.
  10. Imperator Pax Talon Master

There was already a thread
  11. Zorlon Grandmaster Asshole

And then the yuppies come, price out the young and broke hipsters, and bring in a bunch of soulless new construction. And then they start having kids and suddenly aren't OK with all of the hipster things that made the area trendy to begin with.

DUMBO used to be a really fun, affordable, quirky, slightly edgy, and partially empty neighborhood.
    Flectarn likes this.
  12. Cherico Totally not a NSA agent

Black and hispanic hipsters are a thing, I have met plently hispanic hipsters.
  13. It's not hipsters in general I wanna avoid; I don't mind their music and some of them genuinely want to help the world. I just really don't like living around white people who grew up with money. There're fewer opportunities to learn compassion and such when everything is handed to you, which makes many of them cluelessly unpleasant company.
  14. Todeswind Delayer of updates.

Side note - but today as I was running on the treadmill I had to resist the urge to die of laughter when the Fox News talking heads started rambing about the "conservative values" one can find in Spike Lee films. They were pretty much explaining how his body of work justified an anti-Obama stance.
    Zorlon likes this.
  15. Agreed. It's also rather duplicitous, since there's long been a rallying cry of "How dare you say we can't change a neighborhood!" whenever people of lower class begin to move into an area.

I'm not sure which part of that has more internalized racism.
    Zorlon and Fancy Face like this.
  16. There's plenty of classism to the sentiment, but any racism there is to it is unintentional, I assure you.