Spirited Away Better than Princess Mononoke?

Discussion in 'Space Battles' started by RedWordSmith, Nov 12, 2002.

?

Is Spirited Away Better?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2002.
Yes, Spirited Away is better. 3 vote(s) 37.5%
No, it is not. 5 vote(s) 62.5%
  1. RedWordSmith Beyond Naughty and Nice

At least, that's what one would think looking at the Tomatometer pages for those features:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/PrincessMononoke-1094128/
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/SpiritedAway-1116064/

What do you think? Poll expires in 9 days.
  2. Going from the polls and comments seen on IMDb and so on I would have to say this is Miyazaki-san's best piece so far, even though I have yet to see either Mononoke Hime or Spirited Away.

I'm not much for fantasy animé hence why I never got into Escaflowne (also because the US version killed off Yoko Kanno's excellent music and replaced it with shit techno) but I did like Ninja Scroll and the Shadow Skill film and OAVs.
  3. Gil Hamilton Burajin Desutoroiyaa!

It's hard to compare them, since they have different themes, level of maturity, et cetera, but I liked Spirited Away slightly better. The idea that people are controlled by other people owning their identity and the way to being free is remembering who you are hits home for me in a deep way. While Ashitaka's plight was certainly bad and the events in Mononoke Hime were compelling, I could associate with Chihiro more.
  4. phongn MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!

I didn't see Mononoke Hime, but Spirited Away was amazing.
  5. spacejozilla God of Beer

Haven't seen Spirited away yet, but I own Princess Mononoke on DVD, a must buy after seeing it in the theaters.:)
  6. Posbi Capitan Maximum

The only reason why I never got into Escaflowne was that whenever I saw one of those guymielefs I couldn't stop thinking about how much an Earth military force would blow the crap out of them...:p
  7. True, plus the film and series are almost totally different. :p

I'm more a realistic or future fan, Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex and Cowboy Bebop are the two series thrilling me now. Go Yoko Kanno! :D
  8. Posbi Capitan Maximum

Yeah, it was always this feeling like, 'Aww, gimme a bunch of Terran-made military mechs, MBTs, harriers and a couple of tac-nukes, and I'm going to kick all their butts with less than 1,000 men... :D

Hey, mind telling me a bit about the two you mentioned, AV? :)
  9. GSV Use Psychology Malfunctioning Mind

Tough call. Princess Mononoke totally blew me away when I saw it for the first time, mostly since I saw it on the big screen during a filmfestival. Spirited Away didn't quite match that first experience.

I think that Mononoke holds together better storywise, but Spirited Away seemed visually more impressive. Although better is a relative term, since they're both excellent movies.

Still, Spirited away is the movie I'd pick to view right now if I had to choose between the two.
  10. GitS: SC is new in Japan and still showing, essentially it is more loyal to the original manga than the film which was often seen as not a true GitS product, but still good.

Cowboy Bebop simply rocks, if there is one good thing I have to say about it it is the music easily. Good old fashioned space bounty hunter story.
  11. Shadowhawk Evil Atheist Conspirator

It's really hard to say which one is specifically better, but I had to choose Spirited Away, if only because it was the only one of the two I managed to see in the theater.
  12. watchdog Artiste-at-large

I just wish I could see the damn thing, Disney released it in all of 8 theateres here in L.A and since I moved up to the high desert, I can truthfully say its not playing within 50 miles of me :rage:
  13. Xort Mahō Shōjo

GitS:SAC

Is the perfered name AV:D

Note the 'A'
  14. mughi3 heavy metal-guru

NO
    each myazaki film is great in it's own right. there is no real way to compare them. i personally prefer the crimson pig above all his films followed closely by nausicca and mononoke hime.
    :D
  15. Bah, SAC don't seem right. :p

I always hated the "GitS" abbreviation (why is abbreviation such a long bloody word?!) as well, gits. :p
  16. Xort Mahō Shōjo

Read it as "Gets sack". ;)
  17. Nice method. :D
  18. Posbi Capitan Maximum

AV, I've just started bidding for Cowboy Bebop at Ebay, so if I buy it, and it turns out to suck ass, then... *draws breath* ...then I'll come and kill you, kill your friends, kill your family, kill the people who knew your family, burn down their houses, brun down your house and- wait a minute *looks at account statement*, uhm, ah, forget that. :p ;)
  19. The whole series?

My bro is getting it on DVD at Xmas and he saw the last ep on CNX as I watched the last downloaded ep last night.

It's a great series, brilliant music, fantastic artwork and a great plot with colourful characters.

You won't be disappointed.
  20. AltoidMaster Lord of Minty Freshness

I think they're both good in their own way and comparing these two would be a poor approach to assessing them.
  21. justifier 30 squirrels in a mansuit

And the last episode is kickass!
  22. Yeah, but no spoilers. The whole Vicious arc was brilliant.
  23. dacis2 Civil Servant

Actually, after watching through both, I think they are about level to me.

Don't ask how I got them in a country with a crappy cable system.

DON'T ASK DAMNIT