1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. Welcome Guest to the new SB! Come on in, we're running the newest XF version now on new servers. Talk about it here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/all-in-together.311779/
  3. We are having a contest for a new Spacebattles Logo. Come check out the thread for more info. Prizes may be involved.
  4. We now have an official FAQ. The link is in the nav bar but can also be found directly here:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/faq/

Feel free to submit questions so it can become more thorough.

Stargate Hyperdrive speeds, times, and distance

Discussion in 'SciFi Technical Discussions' started by Alyeska, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.
  1. Alyeska

Alyeska Beast Slayer Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

Do we have some good figures on hyperdrive speeds in Stargate? Not just how long it takes to travel somewhere, but the distance involved and possible speeds? I'm looking for Asgard figures, Daedalus with and without ZPM, and some others.

Something that I had talked about with Chris O'Farrell a while back. Asgard hyperdrives on Asgard ships appear to be very fast. On the order of significantly faster than even a ZPM equipped Daedalus.

I decided to do some basic math using some assumed figures.

Andromeda Galaxy is approximately 2.5 million light years away. Lets assume that an O'Neill class ship by the Asgard can make the trip in one day, 24 hours.

The estimated size of the observable universe is 93 billion light years in diameter.

93 billion is 93,000 million. 2.5 million in a single day.

93,000 / 2.5 = 37,200 days

37,200 / 365 ~ 102 years

The Asgard can potentially cross the entire universe in just 102 years, assuming they can travel to Andromeda in just a day. Estimates I have heard about the Asgard put their potential speeds at far higher. I've heard estimates of being able to travel within minutes between Earth and another Galaxy.

With a ZPM, we know the Daedalus can travel to Pegasus in 4 days. The Gate Bridge was said to be 3 million light years long. This is about right for the Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy.

3 million light years in 4 days is 750,000 light years per day.

93,000 / .75 = 124,000 days
    124,000 / 365 ~ 340 years

So the best humanity can do is cross the universe in 340 years using a ZPM equipped Daedalus. Thats still freaking fast. Earth could be exploring not just the milkyway, but they could easily be exploring the entire local group. And just think if the Stargate seeding ships seeded several of these local galaxies.

Anyway, does anyone have some firm numbers on the Asgard? Or how about Stargate season 5 when SG1 and Apophis got sent way out of the Galaxy? What was the distance? We know the replicators got that ship home very fast.

2. SpartanElite

SpartanElite Jot Coterie Abomination

Thor's chariot gives a time frame of less then 10 minutes (IIRC) for an Asgard ship from Ida to arrive somewhere in the Milky Way as well as somewhere in the range of a half a second or maybe two seconds (I forget) for 1500 light years in the episode after Prometheus is hijacked with the Replicators eating a planet. This was with Prometheus being pulled through hyperspace with the ship, which is stated to greatly lower the speed of the ship.

The season five episode galaxy was 4 million light years away, and it would take 125 years by Goa'uld hyper drive for the ship to arrive in the Milky Way, thus 32,000c. The Replicator enhanced ship covered that distance is less then an hour.

3. Sayle

Sayle Atalantë

Assuming a 30-day month that means the Replicators improved the Goa'uld hyperdrive to go 34,560,000,000c. Hol. E. Fuck.

Thirty four billion, five hundred and sixty million times the speed of light.

34,560,000,000 / 24 = 1,440,000,000 light years per day.

9,300 / 1.44 = 6458 days
    6458 / 365 = ~17.7 years to cross the observable universe at that speed.

4. Wraith hyperdrives' FTL speed

Here's the estimation I came with a while ago. I updated the text a bit.

Those ships were surely taking their time, compared to those:

A montage of the schematic:

[​IMG]

So we have 125.4 LY covered in 36 hours, including cullings on at least 4 worlds.
    Without any stop, it would put the FTL speed at 30,534.9c.
    A culling would easily take a couple hours. Going with one hour stops, and four stops, the travel through hyperspace is reduced to 32 hours. Which gives us a speed of 34,352c.

Wraith ships also suffer from hyperspace radiation. This may be related to their biotechnology or something. Obviously, those radiations aren't strong enough to harm Sheppard while he was sitting in his F-302, clamped to a hiveship, the canopy exposed.

5. Goa'uld hyperdrives' FTL speed

Ha'tak

Teal'c thought Apophis' ha'tak was travelling at 10c, but reality has shown that the ship was travelling much faster.

Speed: 10 c (lightyear per year).
    Duration: 1 year (or more).

Distance: 10 LY, at least.

Carter plants C4 in the stargate room, not too long after O'neil tells her to do so (just before O'neill and Teal'c are captured and brought into the stargate room).

She sets the detonator to 24 hours.

They arrive in the Sol system, passing near Saturn at a high speed.

Battle ensues in the pel'tak, and Klorel is shot with a pistol.
    They've arrived to Earth.
    Carter reminds O'neill that the detonators are still 24 hours away from detonating.

So let's say that it took them, well, one hour to cover that distance. I assume that Carter was rounding up the number (though technically, considering how fast the events unfolded, the detonators were probably something like 23 horus and 40 minutes away from explosion, at max).
    This will compensate for the fact that the ship exited hyperspace on the rim of the Sol system. It also compensates for the walk between the various rooms.

Globally, the ship went from an estimated speed of 10 LY/Y, to 10 LY/H, at least.

A year is 362.25 days. Or 8,694 hours.
    LY = 8,694 LH

V = 10 LY/H
    V = 86,940 c

That's if the trip lasted one hour, while it clearly lasted less than that.

If you try to clock the action, it has been pretty continuous from the moment they jumped into hyperspace.
    I counted roughly 1520 seconds (25m 20s).
    1520 seconds to cover 10 light years.

Ergo, 9.46 e16 meters over 1520 seconds, or 207,599.759 c.

Pops' flagships were actually faster than Cronos' ha'tak.

Better than even Cronos' ha'tak's FTL drive (32,000 c).

Globally, Goa'uld hyperdrives get faster if more energy is pumped into them, and their performance also depends on the size of the hyperspace field that is cast for transportation.
    The same applies to Asgard vessels, such as Thor's warship that tugged Prometheus to Halla's vicinity.
    It's possible that Anubis' supership could allow several Ha'taks to travel at superior speeds.

Then there's an idea of the hyperdrive speeds Yu's ships were capable of:

Considering that Yu's forces were capable of keeping up with Anubis's ships, Yu's ships should be relatively as fast as Anubis'.

6. themorningstar

themorningstar Executive Vice-Bishop

You must have one hell of a telescope hidden away, AFAIK the observable universe goes out to 13.7 billion lightyears in every direction, which does this to your figures;

Crossing the Universe
    "Assumed" O'Neill-class 30.02 years
    Daedalus w/ZPM 101.55 years

Sorry, but you missed a "0" from Alyeska's 93,000 which makes it crossing Alyeska's larger universe in 64,583 days/365 = 176.9 years, faster than humanity's own ZMP-using starships but still lagging behind the "assumed" speed of the Asgard.

Actually, there's another error in your calcs, you divided the speed of the Replicator's hyperdrive by 24 for no reason I can see (its not "per day" but times c which makes it over 90 million light-years per day). I divided the 93 billion by the 34.5 billion c and got a figure of 2.69 which means it would take the Replicators less then three years to cross Alyeska's universe.

And a third. You divide your 9,300 by 1.44 but your own calcs should've read 93/1.44, both being in the billion.

7. SpartanElite

SpartanElite Jot Coterie Abomination

Looking up some websites real quick, that's how old the universe is. It's not the diameter, though. Some physics stuff that I have no clue about, nor heard about.

8. Sayle

Sayle Atalantë

Math was never my strong point. And since I was too lazy to do my own calculations I was mostly basing them off previous calculations.

But I have no idea why I divided by 24. Why the hell did I do that?

9. Alyeska

Alyeska Beast Slayer Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

I did a rough calculation on the Daedalus with ZPM.

750,000 light years per day
    31,250 light years per hour
    520.833333~ light years per minute
    8.6805555~ light years per second

Light year is 9,460,730,472,580.8 KM

8.680555 * 9,460,730,472,580.8 = 82,124,396,463,375 KM per second

Speed of light is 299,792.458 KM per second

82,124,396,463,375 / 299,792.458 = 273,937,500

273,937,500 C. Two Hundred Million times the speed of light, almost Three Hundred. Wow. We have some "slower" drives that can do it in a period of 3 weeks. Some Ancient drivers that take around 2 weeks. Asgard that can do it in an hour. Damn, these speeds are fast.

10. themorningstar

Yes, except Alyeska said "observable universe" and that is an actual figure due to the age of universe, anything else, any theories as to how far the universe extends beyond it or if it's a "hall of mirrors" and way smaller was not in question here.

When dealing with light-years I doubt its uncommon to slip something in you've done many times before without thinking.

Any known distances on the Destiny? All I can think of is that the map in the opened showed them passing through several galaxies in a relatively straight line which takes them way outside the Local Group and into some region of the Virgo Supercluster.

Don't stargate networks connect entire galaxies (without an "area code")? Does that mean that the Destiny is travelling to a new galaxy every time they connect to a new network?

11. Vasuda

Vasuda Disappointed

It has nothing to do with the theories you mentioned, just simple space expansion, a proven fact.

From wiki, observable universe article:
    And

12. Wait, what? When did the observable universe change from 10-20 billion lightyears to 46+? :confused:

13. The age of the Universe is ~13,7 billion but the universe size is bigger.

14. themorningstar

Okay, I think I get it, but you'll have to tell me if we're on the same page, Vasuda. The things we can see now that are the most distant visible objects (13.7 billion light-years) have moved away in the invervening years (expansion of space) that the light has taken to get to us and they are now 46.5 billion light-years away.

I did know this, but I didn't think the observable universe included the distance they'd moved but just the part we can see which explains my confusion at the term.

15. Vasuda

Vasuda Disappointed

Pretty much, yea. Well i'm not sure about the 46.5 figure, it says "the edge" so if/since milky way isnt in the center of the universe this figure could mean the closest of the farthest edge.

I understand how the term can be a bit confusing. As i understand it, its the objects that can be observed (where ever they might be) rather than the location where they are observed. The later would not be very useful considering how long light takes to reach us.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.