1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. Welcome Guest to the new SB! Come on in, we're running the newest XF version now on new servers. Talk about it here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/all-in-together.311779/
  3. We are having a contest for a new Spacebattles Logo. Come check out the thread for more info. Prizes may be involved.

What ever happened to the bloom box?

Discussion in 'Non Sci-fi Debates' started by sleepingdragon, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.
  1. a few years back, 60 minutes did an interview

I guess it's been a few years and just seeing if we have heard anything lately.

was it hype?

is it under development?

or something else?

2. SGTschlock

SGTschlock Sensei aishitemasu

*raises eyebrow*

This seems suspicious.

3. BriDog

BriDog Simple But Supreme

http://www.bloomenergy.com/

Looks like they've been selling commercial and industrial scale "energy servers". The residential model is still a few years off according to the website.

4. ACOG

ACOG Sentient Computer

So is it actually possible?
    I mean making fuel cells in that size?

5. Admiral Skippy

Admiral Skippy Shadow Cabal Labrador Wrestler

According to physics, sure, but then so is the Penrose process for pumping energy out of black holes. The devil is in the actual engineering, which theoreticians like me prefer not to dirty their hands with. :D

6. I popped over to the site but I'm not interested in hearing a fucking commercial for these things. I just wanna know what it uses for fuel, how much power a given size can put out, how much fuel it uses to do it, and how much it costs. They do an excelllent job of hiding that info behind a lot of blah blah innovative blah blah environmental blah blah shiny new tech blah blah.

GIVE
    ME
    NUMBERS
    ASSHOLES

Seriously I'm starting to hate hearing about new tech anymore.

Kalashnikov of Fire likes this.
  7. Major Diarrhia

Major Diarrhia Concept Philosopher

If it's what I think it is, it's a natural gas fuel cell, but I'm just going by years old memory, since I didn't bother watching the video.

8. I seem to recall several years ago during a 60 minutes interview that the inventor was claiming it could run on anything type of fuel. I think it was ebay and google that had installations at the time and they were running natural gas.

Whole thing seems out there to me. I won't believe any of it until I see it in operation myself or at least some better articles....60 minutes does some good stuff, but I haven't seen much since then.

9. Wolfius

Wolfius CEO, Uniphase Armouries

Watching the 60 minutes segment...
    Google has a data center running on them with natural gas, 60min claims they only use half as much as would be needed to generate the same power conventionally. E-Bay is running them on biogas from a landfill and their CEO claimed to have saved over $200k in about a year, tho I don't know if that includes tax breaks.

They also listed Staples, Wallmark, and FedEx as having installed some.

10. Qeveren

Qeveren Well hello there, little friends...

http://www.bloomenergy.com/fuel-cell/es-5700-data-sheet/ ?

11. the atom

the atom a.k.a THE TROOPER

Isn't this thing actually in commercial service already? I thought I heard something about walmart installing it in some of their stores.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.