1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.

Why Do Cheerleaders Dress "Immodestly"?

Discussion in 'Non Sci-fi Debates' started by Glory, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glory Ne Plus Ultra

Excuse me for the title, but don't get me wrong on how cheerleading outfits look.

Why in the world do they have to show so much skin? Especially in educational settings such as middle schools, high schools, and colleges? Are they merely a marketing scheme to attract horny males to sports games? The same goes to other females such as volleyball athletes to. They were wearing knee length SHORTS a few decades ago (I've researched it), but now wear ass shorts nowadays.

I've been searching the web for some answers and I have not discovered a concrete answer.

It's not a sport!

And to all you parents out there...would you be proud to see your little gal become like this?

[IMG]

I'm sorry for the picture, but I just felt I had to get my point across.
  2. Because it's attention grabbing.
  3. Glory Ne Plus Ultra

But I thought the pathetic excuse from cheer coaches was to help promote school spirit? or some b.s?
  4. Harry Leferts Solidarity

... yeah... this thread is going to be another shitstorm, ain't it?
  5. Hassam Solidarity

In before lock maybe.
  6. Glory Ne Plus Ultra

Well, I hope not.
  7. I can say I'm punching you in the face for whatever reason, but I'm still punching you in the face.
  8. Glory Ne Plus Ultra

Why would it get locked?
  9. Firstly not all cheerleaders dress like that. A lot of university/highschools and professional cheerleaders dress in tasteful clothing.
    Secondly it is a sport. It can be a very dangerous one at that.
    lol And finally if you got it flaunt it.
  10. Glory Ne Plus Ultra

Can you show me a few examples (especially from college and/or professional) where they do dress in tasteful clothing?
  11. DonBosco 11th century refugee

12. Ok but we cant turn this into a hottie thread.
  13. SeaDart Solidarity

Just because they dress skimpily for fanservice to dads everywhere doesn't mean they are, or want to be, sluts.

Shame on you.

Hey look, that's Western! Well, that explains the uniform, it's Western, the world's best party school.
  14. Glory Ne Plus Ultra

Well, we don't have to. Maybe if its possible if you can list the names of those organizations so I can google search them?

However, the underlying issue lies in why America is so adamant is sexifying them up.
  15. open_sketchbook Herald of the Evil Feminist Shadow Cabal

What the everliving fuck is wrong with you, you misogynistic shitstain? What is wrong with you?!?

You are like a summary of everything I hate. You have given the patriarchy a face so I can punch you in it. You are the scum that scum scraps off of their boot.

You are the AT&T of people.

a) It is not your job to police what other people wear.

b) Oh no, skin. Somebody please help retrieve this guy's monocle, which has fallen away in shock.

c) Fuck you.

d) It is definitely not your job to shame people over expressions of the sexuality.

Yeah, sexualization of women in every sphere, by men, can be a problem. The way you are tackling it is an even bigger problem.

If you have any questions, refer back to c)
    avatar11792 and SwiftRosenthal like this.
  16. Harry Leferts Solidarity

*Looks at the title of thread*

Yeah... I wonder why it might...
  17. I have a male friend that does competition cheerleading. Basically its just group gymnastics. I enjoy watching the "throw people in the air and catch them" parts.

The skirts got shorter as they got closer to a real sport and they started getting in the way.
  18. Hassam Solidarity

I merely like the throwing part.
  19. Glory Ne Plus Ultra

But the men shown in the video have no problem doing the routines in pants right? Surely a farcry from skirts.
  20. CommanderRazor Your friendly Commissar-Admin

Anyway, I personally don't see much in the way of 'slutty' cheerleader outfits among middle or high school cheerleaders. Showing some midrif in the HS levels perhaps, and the skirts are above the knee...but that's hardly offensive unless one happens to be some sort of repressive oddball, though. o_O
    This particular pic doesn't represent all of them as high school levels from what I've seen myself. Anecdotal, yes, but at least that's what I've seen for my county's HSs at least.

And so you've come here.

It gets enough girls injured doing it that it's not something that I'd dismiss as not being 'not a sport'. It's just an odd one that doesn't involve a ball.

Damn, that woman has some abs on her. Hell, I want abs that good. :eek:

As for my theoretical daughter being a cheerleader, wearing a uniform that's something like that, it would likely not bother me so much assuming that she's been taught and trained properly to be a respectable and responsible person and has serious aims beyond simply cheerleading.

Oh, and this had BEST not become another Hotties thread.
  21. Forgetful Nuka Chemist

Indeed. SIX PACK! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

EDIT: Yeah I highly doubt this will become a hawttie thread.
  22. Yitzi Jew

Part that, and part a marketing scheme (with the same idea) to encourage the players to give it their best.
    Christi likes this.
  23. Avernus Abomination

To gain attention and serve as eye candy. And "Why not?" Your entire argument has the implicit assumption that there's something wrong in them showing off some skin. But of course, somehow it's not "wrong" for males to run around on the field in tight fitting outfits or in shorts & shirtless.

Seems to me any "shame" would be in calling them "sluts". Unless you want to argue there's something wrong in being a sexually active female.

EDIT: And yeah, speaking as a guy I'd like to be in nearly as good a shape as her.
  24. Glory Ne Plus Ultra

1. The Federal Court ruled that Cheerleading is not a sport. Just because your hurt or put alot of effort into something, doens't make it a sport. Should we call "Mathletes" a sport? They aren't athletes when they compete.

2. I've surveyed several parents. They all said they are uncomfortable if their daughter wore a revealing outfit in public. Especially the midrif in cheerleading (well, this is excluded in much of high school anyways).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.