1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. We now have an official FAQ. The link is in the nav bar but can also be found directly here:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/faq/

Feel free to submit questions so it can become more thorough.

Wild Dogs Eat Child

Discussion in 'Non Sci-fi Debates' started by Davion, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.
  1. Davion

Davion Davion Light Guard

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-mauled-to-death-by-african-painted-dogs?lite

Boy falls into Pittsburgh zoo exhibit, mauled to death by African painted dogs

Hope the fall finished the kid off.

[​IMG]

2. Admiral Skippy

Admiral Skippy Shadow Cabal Labrador Wrestler

This is why every zoo should have a dedicated team of guard lions. How many more tragedies have to happen before people will learn? :(

the atom, Sum Sine Regno and Reece like this.
  3. TheSandman

TheSandman From NERV's Heart I Stab At Thee

Honestly? I feel more sorry about the fact that they had to shoot one of the dogs, given that they're a highly intelligent endangered species and all. Not like it's their fault that somebody was stupid enough to leave a two-year old where they could fall into a pen full of animals whose instincts are to kill and eat things that size. Or that one of them wouldn't leave what was, as far as they were concerned, a perfectly good kill.

I mean yeah, terrible waste of human life and all that, but humans aren't endangered and this incident only happened because the mother was dumb as a rock. As for the kid, well, there are worse last thoughts to have than "Doggie wants to play! Yay!"

4. those dogs are totally alpha

5. Admiral Skippy

They wouldn't be so alpha if they had to deal with a 500 pound guard lion, would they?

6. Reece

Reece DALEK REECE

I bet those Lions don't even lift.

The Reaper, the atom, Tekrow and 9 others like this.
  7. Damar

Damar Nothing's Personal? Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

Going with what SandMan said, putting more blame on the mother getting her child killed, rather than the wild animals acting like wild animals.

8. Admiral Skippy

THINK AGAIN AMIGO.

[​IMG]

9. Largo

Largo Writing, Sports, Politics. Joys of Life

:wtf:

10. Flying J

Flying J Patron St. of n00b pwnage

Wild animals may be wild animals, but a two year old was EATEN. You sick fuck. Seriously could you come across as anymore of a douche?

11. XenonPrime

XenonPrime Cyber-Postmaster Sensei

Definitely, what on earth was she thinking putting her child on the edge of such a dangerous drop? From just reading the article the majority of the blame lies in her foolish decision to needlessly endanger her child.

The only issue with the zoo I can see is the fact that it was possible at all for anyone to get on top of the railing, it'd be far safer to have a wall too high to climb and have either grates or perspex windows to view the animals through.

12. [​IMG]

Except for the whole "eating children" thing that looks like it would be an awesome dog to have.

Sum Sine Regno and Reece like this.
  13. The only animals worth anything (more than food) are the ones that can kill you.

ShadowPhoenix likes this.
  14. Silveraith

Silveraith Argentum Phasma Phasmatis

That poor animal, killed so brutally.:(

15. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Experiencing a significant gravitas shortfall

This sort of thing seems to happen at least once a year. Why don't modern zoos have something like a second barrier to protect the inevitable child falling off the rail?

Swemmel, Sum Sine Regno and walkir like this.
  16. walkir

walkir Aewab Lurker Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

Definitely. It's not as if people tend to underestimate animals in zoos. Things like this should be impossible without seriously trying it.

I mean, I thought stuff like this was unnecessary...

picture pulled, too bad taste. But I think you know the warning signs...

17. Damar

Damar Nothing's Personal? Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

To be fair, usually they depend on people not being complete idiots as if people are determined enough, they'll find a way to climb over and endanger themselves.

18. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Shadow Cabal Propaganda Machine

What about the the fucking two year old?

19. walkir

walkir Aewab Lurker Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

Yes. I mean its one thing if people possess the criminal energy to break into a cage or something, but this? This is just careless, probably thinking the toddler can have a better look that way.

This is about the same category of people throwing stones at elephants only to be killed by them thirty years later or something. Deadly carelessness.

20. Premier

Premier MODETAR

Sure they do. It's called The Fence of Common Fucking Sense and it's supposed to be maintained by the visitors.

21. Starman4308

Starman4308 Abuser of Ellipses

Zoo's fault for not being very, very scrupulous about idiot-proofing the exhibit.

Mother's fault for being dumb as a rock and putting her child up somewhere he could fall into a zoo exhibit.

I feel sorry for both the child and the animal; both died from a senseless tragedy resulting from a very, very, very stupid mother and a zoo which should really have known to build a taller fence.

22. Night_stalker

Night_stalker SB's resident Advocatus Diabolis Super Awesome Happy Fun Time

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

23. TheSandman

TheSandman From NERV's Heart I Stab At Thee

And? If it was something where the kid was on the ground leaning on the railing and the railing gave way, it'd be a different story, since that would have been a horrific and unforeseeable accident. But in this case? Kid's dead, so sympathy doesn't mean much there. Mom gets negative sympathy for being the moron who caused this. Dad deserves some sympathy, but he wasn't on the scene at the time and so he wasn't involved at all. The dogs, meanwhile, are punished for acting like you'd expect African hunting dogs to act when somebody drops something edible in front of them. And shooting the dog rather than tranquilizing it or just waiting until it was done and retrieving what was left seems totally unnecessary.

This is assuming that the kid was still alive when it hit the ground in the pen. If the kid died from the fall, then it's not even a case of animal attack, it's a case of scavenging fresh carrion.

24. Silveraith

Silveraith Argentum Phasma Phasmatis

Who else did you think I was talking about?:wtf:

25. Gil Hamilton

Gil Hamilton Burajin Desutoroiyaa!

The kid was also already dead and couldn't be saved. There doesn't seem to be a good reason to kill an endangered animal just to retrieve a body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.