1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.

Worm Loops

Discussion in 'The Index' started by Taron, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Worm loops: Inspired by Innortal/Saphroneth Infinite Loops. Unstable and possibly multi-timeline. Pick what canon you want.

Loop mechanics (general):

One person in a Loop, often the main character, is an Anchor. They are the person who first starts time looping.

There is always at least one Anchor present in a given Time Loop snippet, though it may not be the local one.

The standard pattern for a Loop is that the Anchor (and whoever else is Looping there) come to awareness in a loop at a particular point in the story. From there, events will play out as influenced by the Loopers present, acting with the benefit of their foreknowledge, until either a predetermined end point is reached or all the Loopers have copped it.

To be Awake is to be aware of the Time Loops (that is, to have gone back in time this time.)
    The Anchor is the only character guaranteed to be Awake. Even after others have started Looping, it is mostly random as to whether they will be Awake this particular Loop.
    Crossovers, fusions, and alternate pasts can also take place. It is perfectly possible, for example, to have the characters Awaken into a Loop which conforms to a fanfic universe rather than reality.
    Loops do not have to be in chronological order, but it is strongly preferred that they not require a mutually contradictory order (where A must be before B and B must be before A.)
    Just about every Looper is very, very stir crazy.

Tvtropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/TheInfiniteLoop
  2. ElephantMan Miserable Pile of Nougat

Any reason to begin a thread with a badly formatted copypasted wall of text?
    At any rate, here's an idea: Armsmaster starts looping, unaware that pretty much everybody else has been looping for a while already (even Saint). They won't tell him because he's a dick.
  3. As much as I enjoy the loops, the standard Yggdrasil method doesn't work too well for Worm. Neither Heaven or Hell would have tolerated the Entities' actions toward the Earths and if they did and the Loopers find out they just sat back and watched.....yeah, you might get full blown rebellion and the Primary Anchor purposefully ascending the destroying the universe out of spite and/or blind anger/hate once the Looping Madness sets in.

*Edit*
    I'm not trying to shoot the idea down, I personally find great fun in the idea behind the Infinite Loops.

Worm just needs a different delivery vehicle for it since adding Divine/Demonic forces not doing anything about the multidimensional omnicidal parasite strains SoD a little too much
    GuesssWho likes this.
  4. I didn't really know much of how to start this thread other than what I thought was basically the way to copy pasta these things. Any idea of what should be done to replace the op with something more coherrant?

Well everyone always said they wanted a looping Skitter... have at you.
  5. Normally no, but the Skia protocol changes all of that. With Worm being a newly created universe, and the rest of the system to stressed to notice, the entities would fly under the radar. At least enough to create the baseline.

The only issue is figuring out what caused this loop. Scion detonation maybe? Blew enough of a hole that a virus slipped in?
  6. Personally no, the Yggdrasil thing was what kept them mostly coherent. It just doesn't work well for Worm IMHO because it requires the over-seeing beings to ignore how things went originally and given the dispositions of the A!MG setting it just doesn't fit.

My way of going about it would be the generic unexplained "I'm looping and have no idea why" if you don't go the route of "Simurgh did it!" or "Contessa did it!"

*Edit*

I'll admit I missed that part and didn't understand what it meant, so if people can make it work I wouldn't raise a fuss.

It's just the default way.....I just can't picture Belldandy standing by and letting Scion and the Endbringers do their thing.

...And damn that sounds like an awesome band name.
  7. Why not make Scion and Eve a symptom of the loops? Like one ginormous bug?
  8. Ah you people and your new threads and making me think of things when I have work to do...okay, so we're looking for a Worm-Loop framing device and premise, right? Here ya' go and anyone can use it:

The Worm mutliverse is part of Yggdrasil, but only technically.

Call it Virtual Memory, call it the De-bugger Zone, call it whatever you want, it doesn't really matter when we're talking about a computer-esque device that runs the whole of reality...realities. Basically the Worm-verse wasn't really supposed to be a reality, it was supposed to be that quarantine space where junk data/viruses/files with broken extensions/registry errors all get placed by automatic cleaning programs, and that's all it ever would have been, had it not been for the loops. When the loops started, all that junk data/etc..started accumulating faster and faster and faster, being dumped in as the Yggdrasil began coping with so many different worlds having to 'reset' and so many iterations of the process being conducted.

So, as the 'Junk Space' began to fill up with data and buggy programs, it started to settle into what we think of as stars, planets, solar systems, universes, and finally the multiverse. Normally, this process would not have happened due to the Goddesses and Gods zeroing out the quarantine zone, but the loops kept the incredibly busy and Yggdrasil's quarantine space is so big...they let it wait...and wait...and wait. Then, one day, someone remembered and 'oops' there was an entire set of universes, all strangely connected, which had spawned out of the junk data. And no one could do anything about it...but why?

The entities? Well, as to why the God and Goddesses didn't do something? They did. The entities are, if left unchecked, Category 2 Threats to the Yggdrasil System. They are Yggdrasil-class computer viruses. Quite literally 'Worms.' Heh, 'Worm.'

Anyway, as to why no one can really mess with the Worm Loops? Well, one of these stupid 'Worms' a.k.a. 'Entities' got into the Administrative Rights for this region of the Yggdrasil, the quarantine space on the Yggdrasil's hard drive. The Gods and Goddesses charged with de-bugging the Yggdrasil noticed, but waaaay too late, because even though the Worm/Virus/Entity which had the Admin. Rights had suffered enough damage to 'kill' it, the Admin. Rights themselves had already passed on to a specific individual:

Taylor Hebert: Queen Administrator.

This means that the Gods/Goddess of the Yggdrasil can't mess with Taylor's Loop, because they can't control it. They can only interact with her during fused-loops and replacement-loops, because her Admin. Rights will be limited due to her existing in another sector of the Yggdrasil for the moment. Well then, why is Taylor looping at all? Check Taylor's conversation with Contessa at the last chapter:

"But I would do different, given a chance."

During her last moments of actually possessing her link to the Admin. Rights Shard (Program), Taylor reached the higher-functionality of the Program that her normal human mind wasn't ready for and set up her own loop. This means that, eventually, Taylor is going to become the defacto 'Goddess' of the Worm Multiverse. The Worm Loops would be less about waiting for the Deities to fix things, and more about watching Taylor learn how to be a Deity over endless repetitions of her 'loop' as she unlocks higher and higher 'permissions' from her 'shard/program' and her mind becomes able to deal with it.

The 'shards' as mentioned, are actually damaged or not-quite-debugged programs from Yggdrasil, this goes for everyone. All of the shards that give parahumans their powers are data and programs that the Worm/Virus/Entities managed to grab before the Yggdrasil's anti-virus software locked them down. This gives any author the chance to introduce more powers, more entities, and more of everything. If you want Taylor to jump through her own multiverse-area as she's testing her power and come into contact with another media? Sure, that's just a backup of that reality or a version that got too buggy for the Yggdrasil system to save and had to be quarantined.

So...thoughts?
  9. Destrark Solidarity

Have the Entity's as part of the Bug trying to stay alive after the loops end and Yggdrasil is healed so they're gaining powers and gathering energy to overturn things and make something new for themselves.

EDIT: NM Slayer Anderson's idea is better.
    Reece and Slayer Anderson like this.

10. Thanks, I've been a fan of Innortal-style loops ever since the author was posting them on FF.net, way back in the day. I saw Taron post the new thread link and decided to pop on over and...well, I can do a pretty good premise fairly easily. It's the execution and my short attention-span that always gets me. At some point in the next week or so, I'll try and type up a snippet or two properly for the Worm Loops themselves.
  11. wkz Probably on the other side of the world from you

Riley, reliving the worst day of her young life. The day where she went to school, played with her friends, had a happy lunch with her family, went to the mall for some shopping. And in the evening, despite her multiple protests, they came home to the S9 hiding in ambush. Again.

And when during lunch the patrons of the restaurant suddenly started screaming, Riley realized that Jack Slash had started looping with her...

I had to abort my attempt at the above after 6 restarts, I can't bring myself to write it.
    BF110C4, GuesssWho and mc2rpg like this.
  12. Credit to StriderAnarchy9 for (most of) this index.

Angelform
    The Diplomat
    Putting problems in perspective

Archanon
    EVERYBODY GETS BEES!

Auks
    Lost a bet with Uber, poor Imp

Aquinas
    Lunmurgh

bobbananaville
    MLP Loops, [2]

BurnNote
    Bubble Girl
    Custody Battle

Chrispikula
    The Last Challenge

Doomlord9
    Taylor the Dragon

ecs05norway
    Snip 1 Of N

Focus13
    Akemi Taylor
    Nihilist Run

Gideon_NZ
    Some of the Many Deaths of Taylor Hebert or “How Taylor learned to always dodge left”

Giygas
    Shedinja(And Skitter)

Guardian Box
    Miss Black Hebert

Haerdalas
    Simurgh visits Brockton Bay and leaves just as quickly

HecateGW
    This is Jackass!

Hiver
    I'm Skitter

Inara Seraph
    <Free Powers>
    Loop 15
    Loop 1, [1], [2]
    Loop 2
    You will be assimilated, [2]

Lucky777
    <Word Peeler>

Merior
    A Reason To Drink

Nikas
    All your fault

nocarename
    Take your wins where you can
    Welcome to The Place
    How do you feel about second chances?
    Mariposa
    Sidewalks
    Trek Loop
    Baby Animals

NoSolution
    Poor Negotiator
    Kodak Moment
    To Saw Or Not To Saw
    Have I met you yet?

Prim-the-amazing
    A Bird In A Cage
    Club Fever
    I Am Your Mother
    Clockitter Step 1, Step 212
    Princess Ladybug

Procrastinator
    Skitter And The Endbringers
    The Only Path

Query
    Post Golden Morning

RedshirtZombie
    Pranking Simurgh
    This is going to suck
    Leviathan vs. Godzilla
    Random one-liners
    Arachnia the Black Widow

Rex
    New Friends, [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [Interlude: First Friend], [6+Bonus Interlude], [7], [8], [Interlude 2: Coil], [9], [10], [11], [12]
    Aegis' Bad Day, [1], [2], [3]
    Jitterbug music, [to make a corpse]
    Minisiders, [1], [2]
    Cold Snap
    The Bet

Rick1497
    Time Troll

Ridiculously Average Guy
    Why you suck at using your powers
    Mission IMP-ossible
    Just as planned, Abaddon Version

sasahara17
    Let's do Taylor a favor and make her a Memetic Badass before she gets out of bed
    Let's compete in conquering the world as cosplayers

Seclorum
    She was bored, sir!

Slayer Anderson
    I quit! I'm gonna do something else!
    Looping Lisa is suffering
    The Loop-siders!
    Tattletale was Awake

Taron
    Taylor's First Outing

The One Butcher
    Hero's Stand, [2]
    1337USM311-Enterprise
    Massive Puns
    Doctor Bees Averted
    PHO The next attack, [2]
    Alt Heros
    Player One
    Endbringer in the pocket
    Friendship Fixes Everything
    Casting BEEEES
    Samantha Trelawney
    Regent of the World
    Dragon and Skynet
    Terrible Fanfiction

Zulaq
    Taylor's Introduction to the Goddesses
    Skitter the Internal Revenue Agent
    Bug Master (Part 1)
    Meeting with Hild
    Alt Powers
    TT's First Loop
    The Bees Is Strong In This One
    Skitter Joins New Wave, [2]
  13. This thread was more about for everyone who wanted to write about Looping!Taylor rather than myself.

Oh well, here is Taylor's first outing after looping.

--------------------------

"You really saved us a lot of trouble." I heard Brian's voice muffled from behind the helmet he wore as part of his costume. I looked over the team I had belonged to what I could only describe of as a future that hadn't happened yet. I briefly entertained the notion that what had happened was delusion I had had in the locker before swiftly discarding the notion; Lung had been here hadn't he?

Brian; or Grue had his hand held out. I decided to shake it this time.

“When we got word Lung was aiming to come after us tonight, we were pretty freaked. We were arguing strategy for the better part of the day. We eventually decided, fuck it, we’d meet him halfway. Wing it. Not my usual way of doing things, but yeah.”

The meeting seemed to go exactly as I forsaw it.

“Lung is getting creamed. The fuck you do to him?” Said Brian as he looked over the edge of the building at a writhing Lung.

“Pepper spray, wasp and bee stings, fire ants and spider bites,” Spoke Lisa for the first time.

And then something I don't remember happening happened. "So; you a precog on top of Bug Powers then?"

"I--"
  14. Hmm... perhaps if Eidolon started looping, he would initially think it was some weird revival-shard he must have grabbed at the moment of his death. I wonder what he would do with a second lease on life...
    NRFTW and mc2rpg like this.
  15. NSMS Probably evil, unfortunately.

Either try and convince himself that he doesn't need stronger opponents, or kill himself. And if he picks the live option, use his draining power on criminals to keep his power topped up.
    NRFTW and mc2rpg like this.
  16. Xomniac Clockwork Purveyor of Prose and Originality

I wonder how long Imp would be Awake before Taylor realized that she was just faking not being Awake for shits and giggles.
    GuesssWho likes this.
  17. Mgunh1 Mark 7

Simurgh isn't an end bringer.
    She's a looper.
  18. The second something goes missing, and she defaults to "It's Imp's fault" protocols.
  19. Usually a loop series has some sort of "win" condition, a point that is extremely difficult to reach, but is still well within the grasp of the looper. I propose killing Contessa before the seemingly inevitable headshot brain surgery.

PtV will ensure a good challenge.

love this idea by the way.
    Taron likes this.
  20. The point of the infinity loop multiverse is basically that that's not true. There is no way out. Watch the characters go crazy without any hope of escape.
  21. Nah, the win condition is stopping Zion before he can destroy 90% of humanity. That's hard since the only reason he became vulnerable was because he was using the Emotion Emulator shard so much he couldn't turn it off when things went bad. Without that going on smashing Eden into his face won't work enough to send him in a downward spiral. Which means his PtV shard will kick in for Foil's arrows.
  22. Malbutorius Uncle of Luna and Celestia

No, their is no Win condition for these loops, you just have to wait for the guys running the system to eventually fix the damn thing.
  23. Which will take a very, very, very long time.
  24. Malbutorius Uncle of Luna and Celestia

As in 'about three or four eternities' long.
  25. A/N: Most people have problems with certain loops. Taylor has different standards, I figure, on what actually counts as a special form of hell.

--0--

Last thing I remembered, I'd been shot in the head by a sniper. No doubt by 'mistake'. Ha. That'll teach me to try making waves before I have a bullet proof suit together. Still, it beat the times Simurg had decided to visit Brockton instead of Canberra.

Instead of a normal reset though I woke up and I stretched my back.

I was in a small rental apartment, it was a new morning and I was supposed to be getting ready for school. Choosing clothes was easy since there was a uniform. The colors weren't ideal - purple, green and yellow didn't really work for me or anyone else honestly. All the different after school clubs were crazy, the student population was huge, and the history here didn't make any sense at all.

Still, there were compensations.
    No powers, no parahumans - give or take some mad scientists who might have counted as tinkers.
    Eiken was annoying, yes, but there were no damn Endbringers, no Scion and I had cleavage.

One thing I've learned over the years: Take your wins where you can.