WTF? Possible Secret Private Manned Mission to the Moon

Discussion in 'Non Sci-fi Debates' started by Warringer, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Warringer SPAAAAAACE!

What the...

Source
    DarthDakka and 1930sPulpFan like this.
  2. Posbi Capitan Maximum

Not really moved by this. Any Joe Shmoe with credentials can announce stuff, and as much as I laud the private sector for the steps it has taken I'll be impressed when they put some actual technology to the test as SpaceX and some others have done.
    Necron_Lord, anon_user, Sith and 8 others like this.
  3. Big Willy Are you going to eat that?

If they do it I will be happy, and NASA will probably get more funding
  4. Imperial Waltz Eating Your Sandwiches

If they do it right and are successful good on them.
  5. LONE WOLF 666 MOVE ALONG, NOTHING HERE

So they discover dahek?.
  6. I want to hear a secrete mission announced to the public. The paradox would astound me.
  7. someguy16 Hello Peon. Bow to me.

.... What profit is there in going to the moon again? Bulk moon rocks?
  8. DonBosco 11th century refugee

Economy must be back on track if it is throwing money at useless idiots again.
    Ralson and Apocal like this.
  9. Wetapunga God Of Ugly Things

This Space thread just got Boscod

Because happiness, hope and adventure are all bad and we should go back to the cave, and none of that darned cave painting either, just sit in the dirt and mope for there is no future in DonBasco world.
  10. StormBlade Gallifrey Falls No More

DonBasco... what does it taste like I mean Tobasco is an excellent hotsauce. Does it taste like Misery:p

This post was bad and I should feel bad :(
    the atom, Vlad III, Arcman and 2 others like this.
  11. ACOG Sentient Computer

So what if he is announcing the safe return of the mission?
  12. Fell Commander Mustache

The moon is the perfect staging point for other targets. It's gravity is low, it's local, and there are resources in plenty for those who know how to exploit them.
    Robo Jesus likes this.
  13. Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think too many people would have noticed them on the way out, for that to be the case.
  14. someguy16 Hello Peon. Bow to me.

You know what else is local, with low gravity, and resources?

[IMG]

Things much closer than the moon.
    Reece likes this.
  15. Fell Commander Mustache

Nope. NEO's are just plain too small.
  16. espp likes this.
  17. espp Je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.

thtadthtshldntb likes this.
  18. smthng Special scientist

Closer?
    Draveziovas, foamy and Robo Jesus like this.
  19. He's talking about you. He's RIGHT BEHIND YOU.
    the atom, Posbi, terminator44 and 3 others like this.
  20. DonBosco 11th century refugee

Nonsense, you're just pissy that economics doesn't like your dreams and yet you oddly refuse to select better ones. There's no economic point to such a trip (no, not even He-3 strip mining) and any who do pay for it will basically be embarking on the most absurdly conspicious consumption ever devised by man.
    Memphet'ran and Apocal like this.
  21. Fell Commander Mustache

Economy is not the point of humanity Donbosco, it is merely the means.
  22. Acatalepsy Marginal Existential Risk

Ah, yes, the "Prothean Relics" - an ancient data cache that will help us build mass-lightening technology and FTL travel, left by an extinct race of insectoids. We have dismissed these claims.
  23. DonBosco 11th century refugee

I'm aware that the economy exists for man, not man for the economy, yet it is a useful guide as to the utility of such an endeavour. And honestly, all this would be is for wasting wealth in an absurd fashion.
    FBH and Apocal like this.
  24. Wetapunga God Of Ugly Things

There was no economic insentive to climbing mount everest, for hiking to the North or South poles, these were simply things to be done, it cost huge amounts of money for its time and was done just for the sake of it. For adventure, glory and because there was something out there that hadn't had man stand on it yet.

These were dreams, not driven by economics, neither is this trip. It is a modern day adventure, by rich people with the money to fufill the dreams of childhood. Whats even better is all of these men want to share that adventure, they are all developing companies and technology which will oneday this century allow average people to make a trip to the moon, stand on its surface and be humbled by the sight of the earth rising over the horizon.

If you apply your brutal standard of economic viability to everything man has accompished then all art, adventure and gazing upwards at the stars is a gross waste of GDP and conspicuous consumption.

These men are investing their own money to develop revolutionary technology that will benifit all. If they use it to preform a giant publicity stunt landing on the moon with their hard earned money and technology it is fine by me. They should be upheld as a model for all billionares, instead of growing fat and old in a mansion put their wealth to use and do something amazing.

It is because of these men that one day, this century you will be able to personaly see this view for the price of an airline ticket:
    [IMG]

If more people can see this personaly they can truely realise how small our little ball of rock and water is, how we have to learn to care for it and spread to the stars to make more like it.
  25. ZeldaFan Thinker of Ideas

We need to expand into space. Establish colonies,and contently work on better tech. Better energy tech, and better tech to get into orbit. Better medicine, better electronics, better materials, ect.

Oh and the first basketball game in zero-g is going to be pretty sweet, whenever we get to it.

Humanity has everything to gain from doing this. Like putting money into infrastructure is good for individual nations, putting money into space is good for humanity.