1. The Rules of Spacebattles are now in a convenient location. Read them. Do it now.
  2. Welcome Guest to the new SB! Come on in, we're running the newest XF version now on new servers. Talk about it here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/all-in-together.311779/
  3. Alamo, dacis2, Erisah Mae, and KnightErrant are now Moderators. I for one welcome your new overlords, and so should you! - CommanderRazor on behalf of the SB Staff

XCOM: Second Contact [ME/XCOM] - Fifth Thread

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Agayek, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.
  1. Sithking Zero

Sithking Zero Hellbore Technician

The alien mecha suit looks similar to the Atlas Mech that Cerberus uses... interesting. I can see all sorts of scenarios where having MEC suits and genetic enhancements would be massively useful in the Mass Effect universe. Finally, soldiers that can go toe-to-toe with enemy Superheavy ground units, like Ogres and Primes. And imagine a Plasma (or even simply a Mass Effect) Minigun on a highly mobile platform...

And that's not even touching genetic upgrades. That sniper was able to jump up something like four or five stories with no difficulties. Imagine them in close combat- with that sort of leg strength, one kick would be enough to cave in a Krogan's skull.

THe problem is integrating them into the Second Contact universe. If these things are so massively useful, why haven't they been used in the fight against Saren? Or in the Chryssalid Raid?

The only explanations I can think of that wouldn't raise suspicion from the Council are the following:

The genetic upgrades that we see in the video were EARLY model upgrades, which turned out to have fairly nasty side effects that weren't immediately apparent when the war was on (similar to how no one knew the dangers of radiation until after people started getting really sick, or how Aesbestos was used as an insulator for years.) Later model genetic upgrades had more varying effects. While there were some (by the time of Second Contact) which received sufficient understanding for universal application (Zero-G Bone Loss prevention, immune system strengthening, removal of various genetic conditions), only a select few could receive the special genetic enhancements that we saw in the initial alien war without horrible side effects, maybe say one percent of all soldiers.

As for the MEC suits, I can't imagine that they're cheap. It's possible that they saw use during the war with the Hegemony, as that was a proper full-scale conflict, but again, I can't imagine that they'd be in very large numbers. It's possible that the areas that we've seen so far were too small to support MEC support (two alien archaeological dig sites, a science base, and an uninhabited planet), or the Council could have said "Yeah, no, you already have Vahlenite Power Armor, keep the Robot Suits at home," and simply not allowed MEC suits on the Citadel.

Although that could spur development of similar suits among the Turians and Salarians. The Salarians I could easily see trying their hardest to create similar power armor...

Although one interesting idea would be that the VOLUS would eventually produce mech suits first, pointing out that load lifters could simply be up-armored and have guns installed on them... Bring the Turians in to give it more military feel and applications...

Sorry, just rambling right now. I really like powered armor and genetic upgrades...

2. Agayek

Agayek Ravenous Gormandizer Subscriber

In-universe, Enemy Within never happened. There was no meld or MECs or genemods or whatever during the Ethereal War.

Certain select elements of Enemy Within may show up during the course of the fic however, as new technologies are discovered/invented.

3. Replication of MELD might have proven to be difficult, even once Elerium was reacquired. Combine the potential for long-term side-effects with the difficulty in acquiring it, well... it becomes less appealing. All the more so if many MELD projects react poorly with Psionics. MECs can't be psychic - but 1/4 of the humans are. How would the "Mental Feedback" G-Mod affect a Communications-Psi? They might well be relegated to the backburner, in comparison to more widely usable things.

Heck, genemods might exist in the Second Contact universe in some limited form. It wouldn't be too hard for it to be something they avoided discussing, especially if they wanted to keep something in reserve from the council. MECs would be useful, but the physical requirements might make it hard to have a life outside the military. I'm not one of the anti-MEC folks by any means, but even if they can enjoy a beer, it might be a rough thing, early on (and later on, it's just another form of prosthetic). They haven't been in a situation where they needed the heavy combat suit side of things very much - and if they require long-term upkeep of MELD or something... why bother, when you've got so much other tech at play already?

Now that the Reapers are known and out there, well, bringing those projects off the backburner and out of the labs might once again be looking worthwhile...

Though now I'm wondering if Jack will have Genemods, Psionics, AND Biotics, because why the hell wouldn't they go whole-hog there? Half-hog is for chumps who don't want a super-duperweapon in human shape.

EDIT: Ninja'd, but oh well.

4. Nerdfish

Nerdfish 吾輩は猫である :3

Exalt = Cerberus ?

5. doorcf the first and only

doorcf the first and only Luna's loyal guard

Modified to be more accurate

Seems that that is the main idea

6. Sithking Zero

Why would Cerberus be necessary? It's a human supremecist group. Ooooh, wow, you're so special. Hey, wait, don't we already have a violent, xenophobic, pro-human group running around already? Yeah, we do... oh, what were they called oh yeah THEY'RE CALLED X-COM.

Seriously, X-COM is what Cerberus wishes they could be. There isn't really a need for a human supremecist group when they're around.

7. Agayek

Adding on to what Sithking's saying:

You're assuming canon will happen. Don't do that. Canon's officially out the window as of the end of next chapter.

ChapterAquila92 and DragoLord19D like this.
  8. doorcf the first and only

X-COM isn't pro-human in the Cerberus sense, they are kill everything that is trying to kill humanity, you leave humanity alone they leave you alone

The Exalt idea is that there are going to be moles and the such thas to indoctrination! and Exalt is the group that can be formed by it

9. Sithking Zero

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you just said.

10. doorcf the first and only

Sorry I suck at English the idea is that Exalt is ME3 Cerberus a group traitors that work for the reapers

11. Agayek

He's trying to say that an Exalt expy could be used to serve as the "indoctrinated, rebellious humans", in much the same way Cerberus did in ME3.

12. Sithking Zero

Thank you both for clearing that up.

13. Mandemon

Mandemon GIMME COOKIES!

Aren't EXALT essentially (Funny, it's referred to as EXALT, not Exalt) people who found out about alien attempts to bring out psionics and concluded that they should use aliens to achieve "Genetic perfection" and then rule over what's left of humanity after aliens are kicked? Which is why they are hostile to XCOM, XCOM is essentially screwing up their goal.

Could easily be mentioned, as a nod to expansion, as a radical psionic supremacist group.

14. Sithking Zero

Yes, they are.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/09/x...world/?utm_medium=App.net&utm_source=PourOver

15. Chris O'Farrell

Chris O'Farrell Peace, through Pizza. Subscriber

I'm now getting a picture of Harbinger also having a conference like that with the rest of his Reapers. All while incredibly pissed off at how X-COM has screwed up all its plans :p

"Alright Reapers, listen up! I want you all to forget the harvest plan!" *throws it into a convenient black hole* "From now on, we're making this shit up as we go!"

16. Sithking Zero

SIX YEARS LATER...

"Um... Harbinger, I don't understand how this helps our plans..."

"Silence and keep slicing that seafood! Our sushi enterprise is making BILLIONS! BILLIONS, I TELL YOU!"

"But... aren't we Reapers? Don't we... not need money, because we just strip-mine it from the organic civilizations that do the work for us?"

"Making. Shit. Up. As. We. Go. Along. What part of that was NOT CLEAR, Reaper Steve!"

... Sithking Zero might need sleep now.

17. Nerdfish

All sort of clusterf can result if Sovereign and Harbinger decide to have a coup against the Catalyst.
    Considering we have no idea just how powerful Catalyst is.

18. Sithking Zero

I'm like, 90% sure that Agayek said No Catalyst.

19. Agayek

Yes. It's hard for the human mind to wrap itself around the concept of true non-existence, and therefore it is indeed hard to comprehend just how powerful the Catalyst is.

Chase92, Ed130, ramdomperson and 8 others like this.
  20. Nerdfish

It's understandable Agayek doesn't like the idea of a moderate reaper. (as far as a reaper can be called moderate).
    So Harbinger is leader of Reapers in this universe ?

21. Agayek

It's not so much what the Catalyst exposes (though that is very stupid and I would change it if the thing was present) as the fact that it's very existence is incredibly damaging to the Reapers as a whole and the lore of the setting. Not least of which because it makes all of ME1 completely pointless and stupid.

As it stands right now, Harbinger is the oldest of the Reapers and therefore the one nominally in charge.

22. Mandemon

Mandemon GIMME COOKIES!

De facto charge or de jure charge? As in, is he in formal position in power or is it more like "He is last of the first ones, he knows how this shit works" level of position?

I would assume that Reapers had larger casualties during their early cycles when they were still perfecting it.

23. Agayek

Harbinger is the original Reaper. The template from which all others were made.

Make of that what you will.

24. Mandemon

Mandemon GIMME COOKIES!

So he is not "Last of the first".

He is the first.

ChapterAquila92 and Cyrus 21 like this.
  25. Oni

Oni Devil Tiger

I wonder if that means he programmed all the Reapers that followed with his idea of the 'Harvest', and what would happen if that programming was broken...

Well, the other Reapers might be a little pissed they were turned into metal cuttlefish at the least. :D

Thread Status:
This thread lies dormant for more than 14 days. Restarting it causes mods to gaze in your direction.